Saturday, April 23, 2022

A Good Day

I know, all days are good. If God let's you live, it is a good day. But some days are more enjoyable more memorable than others. Friday was one of those. It started with Tyler and me meeting up at 6:00 a.m. for a bicycle ride. Tyler is the one who suggested that we start cycling in the morning. Smart. It we don't begin putting in some miles on the bike, Quadrathon will turn into a sufferfest.

First we rode some on Grand Boulevard because it is well lit with street lights and has almost no traffic on it at that time of morning. After the sky lighted up some, we crossed the bridge and headed out Wade Road. Since it has recently been resurfaced, and since the weather was absolutely perfect, we rode in silence and  joy to the end of the road and back.

Once back to Money Road, it was now light enough to ride out it. We went to Craigside, where we stopped. Deciding to turn around, I asked Tyler to pull us home, which he did much quicker than we rode out. For me, I totaled 16.37 miles. Not bad for a start.

Back home, I was ready for breakfast and a rest. I did both, drank coffee, blogged, watched YouTube videos and just generally took it easy. I finally got up and mowed the front lawn and ate lunch early so I could get to the pool before anyone else. At the pool, I did a real practice. I mean a real one. This would be a real one at anytime during my life. I swam

  2,200 42:59
  4 X 25 breast
  300 back
  5 X 100 @ 2:15
  100 back
  400 small paddles
  2 X 50 small paddles
  total: 3,700 yards

That's a real practice right there, I don't care who you are. The 2,200 worked my low-end endurance, my basic fitness. The 4 X 25 breast and the 300 back helped me practice my strokes. The 5 X 100 @ 2:15 gave me the heartrate/lactic acid work I have been missing for weeks now. The 400 with small paddles gave me some strength work. And the 2 X 50 small paddles was John and I racing. He likes to try to outrun me for twenty-five yards. That gave me some spring work. All in all, I did a lot of work. I now feel a lot better about the swim meet next Saturday. I am not out of shape. I don't know how water fit I am with all the low volume and low intensity weeks I have had since my shoulder flared up. But I know I am not out of shape.

To cap the day off, Penny and I journeyed to Kilbourne, Louisiana to meet Rhonda and Jimmy Pelley at the Old Hardware Fish House. 

What!?! You guys drove two states over to eat out?!?

Darn tootin'. My business card reads: Have appetite - will travel. The fish house in Kilborne is fantastic. We had a nice meal, and some sweet fellowship with some people we think are special. They had their four-year old granddaughter with them. That reminded Penny and me of when we used to wag Caitlin with us almost everywhere we went.

When we made the drive back to Greenwood, I was worn to a frazzle. I got in bed and went to sleep quickly. Garmin Connect says I slept 8:16 last night. Penny woke me up this morning bringing me coffee in bed. Now, where are those cats?

No comments:

Post a Comment