Friday, August 18, 2023

Geezer Night

Thursday is Friday for us who teach at MDCC, and I woke up Thursday morning with enthusiasm for my first real Friday of the fall semester. The joy did not last long, however. I am carrying a kidney stone right now, and it was giving me some trouble. When I went into the class room for my 8:00 o'clock class, one of my students said, "You look like you need a nap." 

Lovely. 

I pulled the trash can over by podium and said, "If I start throwing up, I'm not sick. It's pain."

I didn't let a little pain stop me from drinking coffee. Plus the pain faded, and I was able to enjoy my last day of work for the week. I checked the weather numerous times throughout the day, and it was always nice. At 1:20, I left saying in my head, "The weekend begins now."

At home, I was not feeling too sporty, so I put on night, night clothes and climbed into bed. CC curled up on top of me, so I felt like a hostage. I thought about going to the pool, but that student was right. I needed a nap. Not only that, but the Barrentines-- not Paul and Beverly, but Junior and Francis-- wanted to meet us at Hilltop. Hot dog! So I just rested until time to dress and leave. That's right. I didn't swim. I didn't run. I didn't even lift. I just rested.

This is another sign of getting old, not just resting a lot, but eating out on Thursday night. Unofficially, this is Geezer night at resturaunts. The crowd is thin, the crowd is old, and the crowd doesn't like the builiding too cold. See what I did there?

Francis looked really good. She told Penny that she had gained 25 pounds. Junior was sweet as ever. I told him about his cousin, Paul B, and what a fierce fellow he was back in the day. He told me about some other Barrentines who were fierce. I guess it runs in the family. From what I can tell, however, Junior was never that way.

I ordered the sea food platter. So did Junior. Penny and Frances both got the pork chop. It was good, yeah. When we drove down the hill, the sun was setting, our food was settling, and we had the inner glow of some good fellowship with some good friends. Life is good. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment