Wednesday, August 2, 2023

I've Lived through Worse

Mother Nature had been turning up the heat lately, and so have I. Not really, but it was a nice line wasn't it? I did get up early and go to the pool, the big pool. I did a straight swim of 2,600 long course meters. I thought that would be a nice counter balance to the high intensity stuff I did Monday.


That's a good way to make the coffee really good. Back home, I enjoyed the rest of the morning while I drank the coffee pot empty. That is one of life's simple pleasures. 

Since it's been so hot lately and was so hot Tuesday, I stayed inside for most of the rest of the day. I ventured out around 6:00 p.m. to attempt the rest of my training. I jumped on and off the treadmill with the big fan pointed right at me. That made it liveable. Between bouts on the 'mill, I did bench presses, the overhead press machine, the fly machine, and seated dips. Yeah, I hit it pretty hard.

About the heat. I shake my head every time I hear about "record heat." It has been hot, but if any meteorologist or anyone else tells me we are going through record heat, I know they are either lying or ignorant. I lived through the summer of 1980. If you say anything today is hotter than then, then you weren't around. Here in Greenwood, we had strings of days when the coolest hight of the week was 103. One day it was 108. Life went on as usual. I went to work-- outdoors-- everyday, ran-- outdoors-- every day, and mowed my lawn once per week. And it wasn't just in Greenwood. The whole country was in a heat wave that saw the national news reporting the heat-related deaths on every newscast like they did with COVID a few years back. So shut up about global warming and about record heat. I have lived through worse, much worse. What we are going through is weather. Weather gives us extremes. It always has, and it always will until Jesus comes back.

So to sum up, I swam 2,600 meters, shuffled 2.31 miles on the 'mill, and shifted a bunch of weight around in some extreme heat. Imagine how much fun I am at a party. 

No comments:

Post a Comment