Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Stay Tuned

Another week has started, the ultimate one before I start back to work. Thus it needs to be a good one with big numbers and strong workouts. Well, I did that in the pool Monday morning. I slept in and went to the little pool around 11:00. I swam

  1,400 28:38
  4 X 300 rest 1:00
    1 - 5:02
    2 - 4:54
    3 - 5:01
    4 - 5:03
  1 X 50 rest 1:00
  250 small paddles
  4 X 25 no breath
  50 back
  total: 3,050 yards = 2,787 meters

That was a strong practice. The $ X 300 aqnd the 1 X 50 were all one set with a one minute rest between each rep. Do you remember last week? I did a 3 X 300, and all of them were slower than my slowest of these. My best that day was 5:06. What does that mean? It means what I have intuitively felt in my body: that repeat 300s are a good distance to swim fast for maximun fitness gains. This is what some people like to call "Bro science." Gym culture is especially influenced by Bro science. Don't ever discount it, however. Real science, in the athletic world at least, comes from Bro science. Scientist test whether or not the Bros are correct. I don't know of a single incidence where they have been wrong.

I did not run. Somehow I just got lazy and spent the rest of the afternoon in bed taking it easy. Paul B came over after 5:30 for legs, however, and we got after it. Legs on Monday? Yeah. Saturday is Bikes, Blues[,] & Bayous, and I need for my legs to be recovered by then and fresh. We did squats, we added that drop set on the squat machine, and then we went out on the street.

On the street we did yoke walks. We didn't push it too hard, but got up to 140 pounds for 100 feet. It was real. It was fun. But it wasn't real fun.

To make a short story long, we got a solid workout and did some more street variety. Over the past few weeks, we have done farmer's walks, barbell carries, wheelbarrow pushes, and now yoke walks. What else is coming up? 

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment