Sunday, November 3, 2019

Double Victory

Hodge at Vardaman
by Jay Unver

(Lehrton, Mississippi) It's been a big week for Zane Hodge. First, he survived sentencing at the hands of Dr. Timothy Nomann. After being found guilty of competition interference and receiving the harshest sentence in the history of Big ASS Endurance, Hodge surprisingly remained eligible for competition.

Second, Hodge handed arch-rival Randy Beets his first defeat in recent series of virtual swim meets the two athletes have held. Hodge could not have been more pleased as he outpaced his tall rival Friday morning for his first victory in the swim meets.

Third, Hodge defeated Beets Saturday in absetentia at one of his favorite venues, the Vardaman Sweet Potato Festival 5K. Hodge filed papers 24 hours in advance of the contest to qualify to race Beets who would not be there. Permission was granted, and Hodge toed the line in the 31 degree weather eager to score his second victory in as many days.

Hodge and Louisville resident, Timmy
Farrish after the race.
Hodge completed the course in 30:23, short of his 29:30 goal. I caught up with Hodge after the race while he and his wife were eating fresh food on a set of bleachers in downtown Vardaman.

"How did it go?"

"Well, I beat Beets, and I won my age group. I was, however, a little disappointed in my time," he said while stuffing something that looked like a soft shell burrito into his face.

"Reckon why you were slower than expected?"

"I don't know. My last 5K I ran in 29:55. That was four weeks ago and the temperature was in the 90s. Since then I have run over 100 miles and squatted maybe a thousand pounds."

"Plus it was so much cooler today," I quipped.

"Yeah," Hodge responded while chewing madly at his food. "When I looked at my mile race pace average in the two races, the pace was identical, 9:51 per mile. The difference in time is the result of the two races not being exactly the same. Moorhead was 3.04 and this one is 3.08."

"Do you think maybe you have been over training?"

One of the highlights of the Sweet Potato
Festival is the incredible food.

"I don't think I have been. I had on a lot of clothes today. That equals weight and constriction. Also, this course, although mostly flat, is a bit tougher. Mile two has some hills, not big hills, but any hill is a big deal to a delta boy."

"So you think that was the difference?" I asked while I noticed his lovely wife eating a corndog. One whole street, about 150 yards is wall to wall food vendors on both sides of the road.

"Likely it was. Mile one, all flat, I ran in 9:50. Mile two, where the hills are, I shuffled in 10:07, and mile three in 9:41. The final bit, the .08, was at an 8:41 pace. See the problem? I have to get stronger on hills."

"Well, I am happy that things are looking up for you. Congratulations on your victory."

"Thank you, Jay."

"Enjoy your day with your wife."

"You bet."

By now the smell of the food was overwhelming. "I'm hungry. What do you recommend?"

"Barbecue. Sandwich." He pointed to a booth up the road.

"Thanks."

No comments:

Post a Comment