Sunday, November 3, 2019

DFM Oxford Walk

Team Centerville made its annual pilgrimage to Oxford, Mississippi Sunday for the last of the yearly walks the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi holds as fundraisers. We met at Dollar General at Carrollton about 10:30. As always, Gerald and his crew were on time. I love that about Gerald. He is always on time. If he says he will see you at 6:00, you will see him at 5:55. 
Like looking at deer, I never get tired
of seeing this building.


Sheila rode with Penny and me while Gerry rode with Gerald, Debbie, Kelsey and Corey. By 10:28 we were on the road. It was a nice day, full of sunshine and just cool enough to be comfortable. Last year it rained so that the walk was moved to a coliseum somewhere on campus. There were too many people and too little room. We walked one lap and everyone just stopped. This year we would be back outdoors on Ole Miss's beautiful campus. 

We made town about noon and stopped at Newk's for lunch. It was an enjoyable meal and nice fellowship. Then we made our way to the Lyceum. If there is a more picturesque spot on earth, my eyes have not seen it. I say this as a hard core Mississippi State fan. Oxford and the Ole Miss campus are gorgeous. The buildings, the trees, the landscaped grass, the happy squirrels and blend to form a beauty that one can feel.
Really?


We registered and turned in our money. Team Centerville dropped $564 on them. That is not great I am sure, but we did something. I feel good about our support of the DFM and I am pleased with the way Centerville has taken up the cause. They are good people. God's people.

The walk, like two years ago, was all on campus. It used to go downtown, but I think something about the police has restricted it to the university. It was only a touch over a mile and I saw a couple of people I knew from Greenwood, Randy Clark and somebody else. After the walk, they blessed us with hot dogs and ice-cream. That's always a nice touch. We ate, enjoyed one another's company, and then headed home.

The walk up to the Lyceum also
never gets old.


On the way back, I watched for deer all the way. We were near Grenada when I finally spotted three right beside the interstate. A few miles later, we saw two more. That is something I never get tired of looking at. Thank you, God, for letting us see the deer. Thank you, God, for a beautiful day. Thank you for blessing us with good friends. Thank you for the DFM. Thank you for a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment