Saturday, November 23, 2019

Early Interview

Early Interview
by Jay Unver

(Lehrton, Mississippi) I went by early to interview Zane Hodge after his victory in Virtual Swim Meet 6. The meet was a single event, 1,000 yards short course. Last week, the party was in full swing when I went to the rear of 333 West Monroe. This time, I hoped to get ahead of the gunfire, yehaas, and stumble bums so I went at 3:00 in the afternoon. 

I had to park in the back, in a yard off Adams, and pay $5.00 to do it.

As I climbed over the back fence, I noticed one fire was already burning--making coals-- where they roasted a pig last week. A couple of middle-aged men were digging another pig. Hodge spotted me and said, "Two pigs this week. Two pigs. We're gunna party all night."

"Marvelous," I answered.

Then I noticed the big aluminum ladder going up the back of the house. Robbed choir members were climbing the ladder.

"The choir is gunna be up there," Hodge said with delight pointing to his roof. He  then pointed to the outbuilding. "The bluegrass band his going to be up there," he said motioning to the roof of that building. Already there were old men pulling banjos to the roof by a rope.

"Where's the marching band going to be?" I asked in jest.

"In the alley," Hodge quickly responded. "That's why we are parking in those two yards over there."

Unbelievable, I thought.

"The guns? Where are the guns?"

"Everywhere," Hodge rejoiced. "Everywhere."

"Let's get this done. How do you feel about the swim meet?"

Hodge motioned with his hands around him. "What do you think?"

"I know you're happy," I answered, "but tell me about the swim."

"Well, when I got Beets' results, I about crapped my pants. I was trying to figure out the night before what I could swim 1,000 in. I thought I might could break 16:00. When I read that he swam 15:35, I thought, 'Oh heck.'"

"So Beets' surprised you?"

"Yeah, a lot. He's way better than he used to be. I was expecting to win this one by twenty to thirty seconds. Seven seconds over 1,000 yards is less than one second per 100 yards. That is way closer than I expected."

"Have you guys agreed on the next meet?"

"Yes. We are not racing this Friday. But the Friday after that, we are doing 4 X 400."

"Any predictions?"

"Yeah. Victory, total victory."

"Thanks. I'll see after that meet."

No comments:

Post a Comment