Friday, November 29, 2019

Thanksgiving

I left the house at 8:01 a.m. The temperature was 47, the sky was crystal clear, and I felt free. I only get that feeling when I take really long runs. Right now, 16 miles is a long run.

We do Thanksgiving at Hillbilly Heaven, and I was on my way there. I few tenths of a mile in and a quick check of my watch showed me making a whopping 12:30 per mile pace. I know that is pretty crummy, but at my age, with my injury history, and after going two years without running at all, that number said it was going to be a nice run. I was now completing six months of running and that not without issues. My left knee still gets a little gimpy every now and then, but at this moment it felt just fine.

By the time I made my way over the overpass (three plus miles), I was hitting a 12:08 stride. When I got to Humphrey's Highway, however, I was beginning to slow a bit. I took a gel and focused on getting out of town. One thing I like about Humphrey Highway is the farther out you go, the fewer houses you see and the lighter the traffic becomes.

At the last bridge before the big hill, I heard some cars approaching from the rear. I was on the white line. I think there were three of them. I am not sure because the small pickup that passed them all, almost hitting me, took my breath, my attention, and my sanctification with it. Yes, I did some not so nice yelling and gesturing for him to come back. He passed three or four vehicles in a row, on a bridge, in a curve with a pedestrian on the edge of the road. I did not appreciate that.

I shuffled the Big Hill Mile in 17:10. I am actually proud of that. If you think that is nothing, try it. My daughter and her family drove up while I was huffing the huge hill. She slowed down and checked on me. Then she pulled over at Acy's and waited for me to pass. She is sweet like that.

By the time I got to the gravel road, I was barely moving, but I kept shuffling. When I drew within sight of the house, my grandson, Zane, ran out to meet me. His sister, Caitlin, was not far behind. That, 16.01 miles, was my longest run since I started back. Now that has me rethinking the Mississippi River Marathon. I have been trying to decide between the half and the full. I was leaning towards the half, but now I have shifted towards the full.

After lunch, we did the wood thing, splitting and loading firewood. Actually that was good for me because it made me move around some which is always good for recovery. I awoke this morning and noticed that my legs felt good. How about that. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment