Thursday, November 14, 2019

Why 20 X 100 @ 2:00 Is the Best Set Ever

I did it Wednesday morning. I swam, for the first time in years, my old 20 X 100 @ 2:00 set. It wasn't that bad. What was I so afraid of? I am convinced that is the best set I can do for improving swimming performance. It is a stamina set. Since that doesn't mean anything anymore, I am forced to explain.

Stamina and endurance are not the same thing, are not synonyms, despite that fact that ten out of nine people using the terms use them as the same. Endurance, as applied to swimming, is the ability to swim for a long time. Stamina, as applied to swimming, is the ability to swim for a long time fast. Think of stamina as endurance intensified. 

So stamina includes all the elements of performance, at least as it relate to swimming or running. It includes speed and endurance. Thus if one trains stamina, one trains the other elements at the same time.

I know what you're thinking. If stamina is all that, then why train anything else? Good question. Logical question. The answer is simple. You only train stamina occasionally because you will shoot yourself if you train it everyday. It is too much, too painful, takes too much out of you to put a little into you.

Back to my 20 X 100 @ 2:00. The 100s are short enough that they produce speed. The 20 reps are numerous enough that they produce endurance. The 2:00 minute interval is short enough that recovery is not complete between repetitions. The body has to deal with a lot of fatigue and the buildup of lactic acid. Speed plus endurance plus lactic acid buffering equals stamina, the ability to hammer, to go hard and keep at it. Furthermore, this set produces mental toughness as well as confidence. I have long said that confidence is overrated. I stand by that statement. Confidence, however, is never a bad thing.

Here is what I swam Wednesday morning.

1,250 25:33 (2:02)
20 X 100 @ 2:00
650 medium paddles
total: 3,900 yards = 3,564 meters

Notice my warm up pace. Check out my warm up pace tomorrow.

I had to work until 4:00 0'clock. Scratch that. I worked until 5:00. I had to sit on an interview committee. I knew it would be a long day, and I did not lift Tuesday, so I ran at lunch. I got in a whopping 3.04 miles. Yeehaa.

Since I did not lift Tuesday, I had to do a twofer session at Plate City. I did squats and upper body pulling. Besides the squats, I did some barbell walking, that is loading a barbell and carrying it. I walked .12 of a mile with 65 pounds. Then I walked .13 with 75 pounds. After that, I walked .14 with 80 pounds. I think this is going to help my overall strength and should improve my running after I have been doing it for a bit. I know what you are thinking. You are thinking, you could do more than that. Probably you could. I know I could, but I always begin a new exercise low and slow to give my body time to prepare for the new stress. I don't want to be foolish and get injured.

So it was a good day, a full one, and I am looking forward to the end of my Babylonian captivity. Then I am going to bust out some real training. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment