Monday, January 6, 2020

12/30 - 1/5

My last week of freedom was full of training, eating, hanging out with cats, and taking naps. It was great. I wish I had just one more week off. Monday I swam 5,000 yards, shuffled 4.15 miles, and lifted weights. Tuesday I swam 5,100 yards, ran 9.32 miles, and lifted more weights. 

Wednesday I stroked for 7,100 yards. It was New Year's Day, and John and I already knew that the guys who come in at 6:00 were not going to be there so we went long. I did 3.06 on the road, and worked legs at the gym setting a PR on the squat. In the past, I was bad not to work legs at all or skip them if time was short or energy low. Lately, I have made a commitment to the squat, and it is starting to pay off. Eventually, this new strength will transfer to performance in my road races and even in the pool where strong pushing off the wall and solid kicking is a sine qua non of good racing. 

Thursday I had another big day in the water with 5,025 yards. It was cold and raining so I suffered through 2.11 on the dreadmill at Twin Rivers and then lifted used their gym. It is nice to have a back up. Friday I just swam and ran. In the pool, John was out, and I was already over 20,000 meters so I went light and did only 1,800 yards. On the road, however, I shuffled 6.43 miles. We went to Louisiana that night with Jr. and Frances Barrentine and ate at the Old Hardware Fish House. What a nice night.

Saturday I swam and lifted. In the pool, again I took it easy but I practiced dive starts, and I worked on kicking. I swam 2,100 yards, and hit the gym hard for legs, pull, and farmer's walk.

For the week, I

swam 23,602 meters,
cycled one minute and thirty-three seconds,
lifted weights five times, and 
ran 25.04 miles.

That is good training right there, and a far cry from what I did last year at this time. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment