Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Athletic Goals for the New Year

I could sum my 2020 goals up in one short phrase: beat everything. By beat everything, I mean to beat all my times from last year. My first competition of 2019 was the Viking Half Marathon and 5K. I only did the 5K then, but I plan to do the half this time around. That will be a victory over '19. Besides that, I plan to do the Mississippi River Marathon and Half (Forrest and I are going to do the half) and just by finishing that one, I will achieve a best over the previous year when I was not fit enough to show up.

Next up are some 5Ks. We always go to Kosciusko the last Saturday in April for their festival. I hope to bash my 2019 time there. The MDCC 5Ks should be about that time, maybe a week before. I have the miles on the legs to outdo last year in them.

Also on the list is the Mississippi State Senior Olympics where last year I won gold in the 50, 100, 200, and 500 free. I want not to only win those events again, but to best my times in them. It is by no means in the bag for me to repeat. I am not a sprinter, and I barely won the 50 and 100 last year. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure the guys I beat in those events have been thinking of me for the past almost year now and are planning to get their revenge this May. Maybe I can be improved enough to win again. I think about Biloxi every time I go to the pool.

I used to up the distance at each year's Chicot Challenge. This year for the first time, I will swim the same course as I swam in 2019. I hope to best my 6:57 for 12.75 miles this time around. I think about that too when I train at Twin Rivers. 

The Heart O' Dixie Triathlon has long been one of my favorite events. I am not a good triathlete, but I enjoy the race, and I certainly aim to beat my time from last year by several minutes. Just completing the event is a good workout and one of my long term goals is to one day be the oldest man to ever finish that race.

Two more foot races finish the competition year for me: the 300 Oaks, and the Sweet Potato Festival 5K. If I can merely remain healthy and run every week between now and then, I will do well and should easily beat my times in those two races. That is a big if, but I have finally begun to learn some restraint in training.

Besides swimming and running, I plan to continue to get stronger in the gym. I am getting stronger now and I am as enthused about lifting as I have ever been in my life. So here is to a top notch 2020 when I hope to see and perform more clearly than ever before. 

Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment