Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Water Woes

Debbie sent out a group text Sunday afternoon about the heater for the little pool being broken. I knew when I swam Saturday that the water was much cooler than it has been. I was thinking then that she was just trying to save money. She said in the text that the water was 79 and that the normal temp would not be back until Thursday. 

I called John. He said he was out. I planned to go anyway.

At 4:00 a.m. on Monday morning, I dipped my hand into the pool on the east end where I placed my swim bag. "This is nothing," I thought. But when I began to wade in, it was something. I estimated the water then to be 77 maybe 78. Actually, although that is too cold for most people, that is the temp of a competition pool. Despite that, however, I knew I could not do sets because anytime on the wall would be too much time and cause me to chill in a hurry. So once I started, I did not stop.

Actually, a straight swim is something I aim for once per week. It does something for the mind as well as the body. To swim for two hours or more straight begins to develop the patience, the endurance of the mind that is necessary for swimming Chicot. This was the perfect excuse to do it today, and I figured the 6:00 o'clock crew most likely would not show up. I planned to swim until then. If they came in the door, I get out of the pool. If not, well, it was a holiday.

When 6:00 o'clock came, however, I had to get out. I was right about that hour's crew not showing up. But I had to go to the bathroom, and I mean I HAD to. Once I was out of the water, I knew there was no going back in. But I did have a nice swim getting 6,400 yards straight in just a hair over two hours. That was enough for now although I hope for longer swims later.

I went home at drank coffee and hung out with the cats. A little after noon, I went out for a shuffle and since I had so much time, I decided to do my weekly long run. One never knows what the rest of the week holds so I got it done. I went 11.05 miles. I had the legs for more but not the mind. The mental game is ninety percent of endurance athletics. The other ninety percent is physical.

Since we had Over Sixties that night, I did not lift weights. Heck, three and a half miles of swimming and eleven miles of running was enough. Sarah Buchanan's daughter, Elizabeth, and three more girls about her age from Phillipston Baptist Church were the entertainment for the night. They did a good job and they did not drag it out like most singers do. They sang a few songs well, and the called it a night. That was nice. Penny and I were home in an hour and a half from the time we walked out the front door. We enjoyed good singing, good catfish cooked my Larry himself, and good fellowship with some of our members, Jr. and Frances Barrentine. We also got to see the Adams our part-time members from Morgan City.

It was a really enjoyable day from 4:00 a.m. until when I turned the lights out at 9:05 p.m. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment