Friday, January 24, 2020

One More Day of It

Like the past several days, I could not bear the thought of arising early, going out into the cold dark, and getting into a cold pool. Too many hurdles. But, Thursday is my short day, and I work in town. So I knew I had plenty of time to swim. Not only that, but with the water woes, I also knew that I would have the pool all to myself. No one else would dare show up.

To make a short story long, the heater got fixed again around 9:00 a.m. I also had dug out my old shorty wetsuit and was preparing to wear some armor if that is what it took. But when I got to the pool, the first thing I did was go the the east end and stick my hand down before the jet. Bingo! It was blowing warm water. 

When I tried to wade down the ramp, however, I decided I had had my fill of that for the week. I would get in, without the wetsuit, by that warm jet on the east end where the water would be at least five degrees warmer than the rest of the pool. I was sitting on the side with my feet hanging into the water, trying to get my nerve up to do this one more time when Robert, the pool man, came in. He told me the pool was 75 degrees and rising at about one degree per hour. I can do 75, I thought, and it will warm some while I swim.

So I got in and went to work. It was the coldest I have swum this year and although I did not like it, at least, by the grace of God, I have continued to swim despite this difficulty. It would have been easy just to take off. Instead, I swam 

4,500 straight in 1:25:23 (1:53)
stopped at the warm jet to stay comfortable
700 small paddles 13:40
400 medium paddles
total: 5.600 yards = 5,118 meters

I had intended to swim more, much more. But I felt a twinge in one of my pectoral muscles. Better sorry than safe, I thought, so I tapped out and went home earlier than I had planned. It was a good day. At home, I decided I was not going to run or lift. I chose not to run because I have been cramping a lot lately. Running and swimming produce cramps which themselves can shut down a swim. I thought better of lifting because I was tired and it was messy outside.

It has been a good week. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment