Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Test Drive

 I met John at the pool Monday and I swam 

1,250 23:17

brick kick

250 medium paddles 4:24

brick kick

250 medium paddles 4:28

2 X 25 back

brick kick

250 medium paddles 4:21

total: 2,050 yards = 1,873 meters.

The brick kick was the key. I did that to help train the legs without adding impact to my bones and joints. Before I started John asked me if I was going to come part of the way back. I thought, @!$#^^ NO! The brick kick hurts. It hurts a lot, and I had not done one in several weeks. I made it, turned and pushed off the wall. 

What?!?!?! 

It did not even hurt. I was breathing hard but not in pain. On the second one, I tried to do a flip turn, but the brick was too heavy and after flipping, I was sitting on the bottom of the pool. On the third one, I went to the west wall and kicked against the current. It hurt a little bit, but I made it.

So to what do I attribute my new level of fitness in the brick kick? I say the high running mileage plus the squatting for several months now has all built up to boost my fitness. That was exciting.

I received a new pair of shoes in the mail, and I thought I needed to test drive them. I went out for mostly a hike because that is where my feet take the most abuse. I walked fast for four miles, then ran one, then walked another, then ran a bit. I finished with 1.5 miles of running and six miles of walking. No problem.

The new shoes are Asics Triumph 18s. They are great for walking, but lack a little on forefoot cushioning while running. I think I will take this pair to Durant to wear on Day Three of the Geezer Run. By then I will be walking more, and this shoe will serve me well at that point.

I am growing very excited about the adventure. The first weather forecast for May the 6th came out today. The prediction is for clouds and 78 degrees. Perfect. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment