Sunday, April 30, 2023

A Real Good Day

Saturday was too packed for me to write a post about Friday, so I will give you the short version. I swam 2,350 yards. What?!?!? Yeah, I was a little tired from Thursday's 5,000 so I tapped out early. I did shuffle 1.12 on the treadmill and did some lifting.

Saturday, Penny and I went to Kosciusko for the Natchez Trace Festival. This has long been one of our favorites. Dating way back to the early 1980s, we went to this one every year. They had a 10K in those days that finished after a steep uphill and under the digital clock on the square. Specatators would line the finish five people deep. It was a blast. The race was basically two miles downhill, two miles flat on the Trace and under the sun, and two miles of climbing back to the start on the square. Can you feel it? Run too fast on the first two miles, hang on the second two miles, and suffer the hills of the last two. That race was always tough and it was always competitive.

One of the grand old homes in Kosciusko.

A few years back, they dropped the 10K and went to a 5K. I still enjoyed the race and Penny loved shopping on the square. They had vendors for days, like nothing we ever saw. Then COVID hit and it was cancelled for a year. Then they dropped the 5K. Huh!?!?! Then the weather was bad. Last year we missed due to the Senior Olympics swim meet. This year, there was a shortage of vendors. The entire eastern block of the square was vacant. On the other three sides, there were gaps here and there. Why? I don't know. It's really disappointing for us both. 

The best part of the morning, however, was driving back through Winona Penny's request. We stopped at Bridges for a burger. BEST. EVER.

Better than Acy's?

Better than Acy's.

The day got even better. Our daughter and grandkids came by. Andrea and Penny took Caitlin to Greenville while Zane and his best friend, Jimmy Leopard, and I lifted at Plate City. We hit the weights for about an hour. Zane and I PRd on the overhead press machine and the machine shrug going 165 and 310 respectively. Then we went to the pool.

At Plate City. From left to right: Jimmy Leopard,
Pee Wee, and Zane Turner.

At Twin Rivers, we were in there for three hours. I managed only a little training (1,500). I worked with Jimmy who could barely swim a stroke. When we left, he could go the length of the pool. Now do the math. One hour of lifting and three hours in the pool plus two teenage boys. What does that equal? Yeah, hunger. We made a bee line to Acy's. 


Those boys ate an Acy's burger and an order of tater tots in minutes. Minutes. The girls finally came home aroung 8:00 p.m. They were leaving then to go get supper at Sonic. When my daughter found out they had already eaten, she had this funnly look on her face. Not to worry, I said. They can eat again. Plenty, trust me.

Thus we had a good day. It was good. It was real. And it was real good. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment