Saturday, April 8, 2023

Back to Plate City

Friday morning rolled around, and I was dreaming at 8:00 a.m. when my wife awoke me by making noise in the house. I honestly cannot remember when I've slept until 8:00. According to Garmin Connect, I was out for 9 hours and 22 minutes that night. I needed every second of it. 

So I did a slow-start day. I lounged, drank coffee, and petted cats. Then I went to the pool around 10:00 when the ladies water aerobics ends. Friday, remember, is long swim day, the day where I do a straight swim. This time, I did a few sets. It went like this:

  warmup 5,400 straight in 1:47:24
  main set 200 free with medium paddles
  cooldown 50 back with small paddles
  total: 5,650 yards

How is that for programming? Yeah, I'm smart like that. I even sent this to one of my former Masters coaches. I know he loved it. The way they (real swimmers, i.e. college swimmers) write practices, the warmup is about 10% of the practice. The cooldown is about 5% or less. The main set or sets are lung-busting, puke-making trips up and down the pool. That is very difficult for a solo swimmer to do. With Tyler being out due to a new baby and a new dealership in another town, I would have been in real trouble this year if Vicki had not started training with me. She had been a huge boost to me. It's easier to do those tough sets if you have someone else doing them with you. But the 5,400 straight, I like that kind of training, and it is valuable. It builds the base, that basic fitness, that everything else is built on.
 

Yes, when I went home, I ate some food and took a nap. Then in the late afternoon, I went to the City. Pee Wee was beside himself. We hung out, and I ran on the treadmill and did the overhead press machine. I still love that machine; it's my favorite out of all the equipment I own. 


On the treadmill, I did 2.65 miles. That was only my third run of the week. My hope is that next week will be better on the road and in the gym. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment