Wednesday, July 5, 2023

At Your Own Risk

Tuesday was the Fourth of July. No duh! But that always has huge ramifications for my training. Often I run to Hillbilly Heaven. This year I was not that fit. What I did do was go to the pool. When I got to Twin Rivers, no one was there which meant the building was closed and locked. I have a key to one of the doors, but it was on another key ring. I have a fob for the gym side door, but for some reason, that did not appeal to me. Consequently, I went to the little pool which was as deserted as a front row pew in a Baptist church. There I swam

  2,100 46:52
  4 X 50 @ WIFL
  200 easy
  4 X 25 no breath
  50 back
  150 25/25 free/back
  total: 2,800 short course yards = 2,559 meters

That'a a bit of a lazy practice. It had some volume (not enough), but it lacked real quality. It needed a 500 for time or 3 X 300 for time. That's the kind of swimming I need to do to prepare for the HOD.

Then it was time to pack up and head for the hills. Of course I we ate too much. We had ribs, chicken, baked beans, and all that other stuff the law says you have to eat on the 4th. I ate it all. Twice. Then there was a lot of sitting around. Eventually, Brice put in a movie, and we ate again while we watched 80 for Brady. That's a chic flic, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It is also a hero's journey, and if that appeals to you, watch this film.

We had to get home before dark because fireworks frighten Pee Wee. They were already shooting them and he had torn out a vent and gone under the house. He's crazy like that. Penny coaxed him out and brought him inside where he stayed for the rest of the night. About 8:00, I decided I needed to go out for a little shuffle. There were fireworks going off everywhere. Some of them big and loud. There was a lot of gun fire going off across the river. Loverly. I ran waddled 1.75 miles. 

Then I went to bed and watched a really stange movie entitled Pearl. Have you seen it? It's a crazy one, or the heroine (villan) is crazy. The film takes its name from the protagonist, Mia Goth, who is Pearl in the movie. What an actress. Since I teach a film class at school, I am always watching new movies with a critical eye looking for artisic details. In Pearl, I did see some interesting symbolism with colors, but outside of that, I am at a loss as to what to make of this one. I did look it up and it is classified as a slasher movie. Maybe that's the problem; I am not into that kind of film experience. What is the point of a slasher movie? Is it just to shock you, frighten you? If so, Pearl succeeded with me. It's bloody, it's violent, it's weird. Watch at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment