Saturday, July 8, 2023

Still Dreaming

Ooops, I did it again. I slept late Friday morning just like I did Thursday. So I went to the little pool late. This time because the water aerobics ladies were in the little pool (there was a cloud in the sky), I could not get into the water until after 10:00. I swam

  1,500 30:54
  5 X 50 @ WIFL
  500 for time 8:36 (1:43)
  4 X 25 no breath
  50 easy
  total: 2,250 short course yards = 2,330 meters

That was an okay practice. It had the 500. I was hoping to get in under 8:30, but I negative split it and my per 100 average was faster than my average for the 400 the day before. Of course I didn't swim as much. My laziness came out again.

I did some serious resting after the pool. I ate lunch, took a nap, and CC napped with me. Around mid-afternoon, I went out for a run. It was raining before I left the house. I got my rain jacket out, put it on, took it off, and pondered what to do. Finally, I decided it was warm enough to run without it. No problem. I did not rain on me. In fact, it got pretty hot out there. I didn't even wear a cap because I thought that was just something else to get waterlogged and heavy. I needed the cap as the sun bore down hard on my unprotected scalp.

I shuffled 5.14 miles. They were slow, they didn't feel good, I didn't have fun. But I did them. Remember what my legs had been through. Major squatting Wednesday. Major cycling Thursday. And now major running Friday. Major? Compared to the amount I've been running for the last few months, five miles is major. Major is a relative term. 

I started this year with a full marathon followed my a 50K. Now I'm struggling for five miles. But I never stopped, never got fully out of shape. That means I can bounce back without too much difficulty. At least it used to mean that, back when I wore a younger man's running shoes. Right now the focus is still on swimming. It will stay there until the Heart O' Dixie Triathlon. Then it will shift to running, and as the weather starts to cool off, the running will increase until I am going for miles and miles. At least that is the dream. I always have dreams. Never stop dreaming. Thank you, Jesus, for dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment