Thursday, July 13, 2023

The Talk with Jay Unver

The first thing he said was, "Congratulations on the world record." 

I appreciated that and after saying "Thanks," I offered him a bottle of water. "You running all the way back to Lehrton?"

"Sure. It's only 13 miles."

The record he was referring to was the 315 I pulled on the trap bar deadlift, breaking my own Association of Sports Strongmen record of 310. I did that the first day Paul B lifted with me. I failed on the first attempt, losing balance and tipping forward. I maintained balance and locked out the second attempt for the record.

Jay Unver wanted to talk about Paul B and the possibility of us having some strength showdowns. Since Randy Beets moved, Big ASS Endurance has lacked the sparkle of a rivalry. The tall guy and I used to duke it out on foot, on bicycles, and especially in the water. The high water mark of my athletic career came when I, as a solo athlete, beat his whole relay team at the Heart O' Dixie Triathlon. The look on his face when he saw me standing there as he crossed the fish line: priceless!

We even had a few virtual swim meets after he moved. We would agree on several distances, then swim them alone and compare times. He beat me like a red-headed step child on the sprints, but I was still the king of anything 400 yards or more, although the gap had narrowed considerably. But we don't communicate much anymore. He's no longer on Facebook, and the last time I texted him, he never answered.

So the Association is looking for another rivalry. Paul B might be that. Unver even asked me about Alaina. I said I was unsure about her. I'm not certain she wants competition. She's swimming that open water thing on the Coast. I want to do that, but I am hesitant about taking another Sunday off church. If she would join Big ASS, that could be billed as the next big competition.

The topic then turned to adventure runs. I shared several that I have in mind for this winter. Two of them have never been done. One has been on my mind for several years. The Parks Marathon is one I have thought about often but never pulled the trigger on. Recently, I came up with the idea of running around Greenwood, that is circumnavigating the town. That one has me excited. I've checked the maps and planned the route. The distance makes 15.3 miles, a nice training run for Parks Marathon.

Then I also have some ideas about hybrid events, events coupling endurance and strength moves, that is running and lifting. I even have an idea about running that involves shuffling out to Money Road and then running a mile for time followed by running an 880 for time followed my running a 440 for time. That, with the rest walks between, will get me out the Road a good piece. Then a slow run back will equal a unique and good training day.

And there is the possibility of a dryland triathlon. I have a ski erg which closely mimics swimming. I have a bike erg for the cycling. And Plate City has a treadmill. Can you spell p o s s i b i l i t i e s?

Unver was happy with all of that. The Association needs events that are interesting. But above all, the Association needs a new rivalry. When the Beets/Hodge rivalry was going, Big ASS was riding high.

After covering all of that, Unver left running back to Lehrton. And my mind wouldn't rest. I kept thinking of new physical challenges. They are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment