Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Quandry

The last week of HOD training started okay. The water in Twin Rivers outdoor pool is warm right now, but Debbie has done a bangup job on those monster bugs. I haven't seen one since she declared war on them. Now, I hardly give them a thought. Monday morning, I swam

  1,600
  2 X 50 build
  300 for time 5:48
  2 X 50 easy
  100 easy
  total: 2,200 long course meters

You might be wondering why I keep cutting these practices short. Well, some of it has to do with bodily functions in the morning. Yes, I used the bathroom before I left home. I always do. My mom taught me that when I was a little boy. But sometimes often, once is not enough. I know, that is TMI, too much information.

It wasn't a bad practice. The 1,600 was twice the distance as my next race. The 300 for time was long enough to work my heart rate and get some acid moving. The total volume, while not bad, was, however, lacking. I need to be hitting 3,000 or more per pool session.

I didn't stop there, though. Before lunch, I ran the Hades Road/Hemingway/Weightman loop for 3.57 miles. That's more than last week. In fact, my swim was also more than last week. Last Monday, I did not swim at all, and I only shuffled 2.75 miles. So, I have it going on.

I mowed the back yard then Forrest came over and we lifted. I did my push workout and hit it pretty hard. Thus, I swam, I ran, and I lifted. Not too bad for a fat, old man. 

While I was lounging in the night, I received a text from Alaina, the swimmer who saved my bacon at Pool Fools. She is registered for Swim Across the Bay in Ocean Springs, Mississippi in September. This is a two-mile open water race across the Mississippi Sound, I think. I had heard about this swim when we went to the Senior Olympics in April. At that time, I thought I would do it. Then I changed my mind and thought that I wanted to emphasize running after the HOD. Now, knowing she is in it, and after watching the video she sent, that thing is pulling at me again. 

What to do? I'm not sure yet. It's a quandry. The race is held on a Sunday which throws an issue into it for me. As a pastor, I don't like to miss very many Sundays. I have missed two this year which is about all I ever do miss in twelve months. I'll chew on it and make a decision soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment