Tuesday, October 30, 2018

An Enjoyable Run

I didn't make it to the pool but I did lift weights at Plate City, and I did run. The run proved to be fun. Since I started back running, I have been grateful for each shuffle. However, the enjoyment factor has been less than a lot. It always is when you are not on good shape. 

Monday's run was slow. Monday's run was short. Monday's run was in the dark because the days are getting really short. I enjoy shuffling in the dark in part because it gives me a feeling of anonymity. Not only that, but as slow and fat as I now am, I don't relish anyone looking at me huffing down the street at a 13:00 minuter per mile pace. In the dark, I at least feel like they don't know who I am.

I also felt pretty good Monday night, like I am developing at least a modicum of fitness. I didn't breath as hard, and my legs felt like I could have gone on and on. I didn't do what I felt like because Trevor and I are doing a 5K Saturday and I want to be fresh, so I stopped at 2.13 miles. But just the fact that I wanted to run farther gave me an excitement about the upcoming winter. It caused me to look back with pleasure on some of my past runs. I want to do them again. And it caused me to look forward to getting in better shape and running late into the night. After the 5K, I plan to push the distance up.

I am also dreaming of journey runs. I don't know how long it will be before I am fit enouugh to do that again, but I want it back. A few years ago, I took Fridays and ran marathons. One run I wanted to do but somehow always failed to get in was the Parks Marathon. In this one, I will run to several town parks and do a mile in each one. It amy be the winter of 2020 before I can pull it off, but having dreams gives an excitement to life that I love. Thank you, Jesus, and watch out Randy Beets. I am on the way back for my Beetsdown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment