Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Greenwood 5K

Tuesday Morning Musings
It's MDCC Homecoming week and that means several things. One thing it means is I am still trying to recruit participants for our 5K. We always have the best race in Greenwood, because the teachers, and the administration workeds hard to inform, recruit, and put on a good event. Always we get those students who sign up right away. Some of them, however, will not actually show up. Then there is the handful of students we twist on a little. Those are the ones who always seem to enjoy it most. This year I have even attempted to recruit from main campus to our Greenwood event. Thus far, I have failed to pursuade anyone to make the trip the have some fun.

Another thing is it is time to actually do the 5Ks. I was so out of shape last year, I didn't even attempt it. Not even for a walk. This time around, I am pretty conflicted, but I decided last week to jump in and try to have some fun. I used to win these things, the one in Greenwood and the one in Moorhead. For an old man, it always gave me a big thrill to win a race. Now, well, I may be the last one in.

But last week, I started back shuffling and that old hope, that used to be so indefatigable within me, started taking on some renewed life. My first mile was at an embarrassing 13:35. There may be some walkers who can beat that, but I am getting out there, nevertheless, and seeing how it goes.

I won't be able to shuffle the whole thing, of course. I might could, but if I did I fear the knee would flare up again. And I am undecided on a strategy. Right now, I am leaning towards trying for about 1.5 miles of shuffling mixed with some brisk walking. That should get me in ahead of the slowest walkers. I think. Maybe I am all wrong to even wonder in the least where I might place. But I now see there is still some of that old pride inside of me that wants to do well. I am unsure if this pride is a sin or not.

With Trevor out at the gym yesterday, I wasn't tempted to do squats which would have sabotaged my efforts Tuesday. What you have read to this point is what I wrote Tuesday morning. The next sentence will begin with a report of what actually happened.

Wednesday Morning's Recall


We met at the Greenwood Center at 2:30, then some loaded into the school van driven by the irrepressible Katy Jones. Since we didn't have the really big van, I drove my truck and Katy's intern, rode with me to the Rail Spike Park. We gathered in front of the famous Crystal Grill and waited for more runners/walkers.

Our turnout was good, although I did not take a count. I guestimate we had fifteen, bolstered some by Delta Streets Academy which sent over several of their cross country runners. While we waited, some more students showed up. The weather was pretty good for running, warm but not blazing hot, about 85 with a gentle breeze. 

We started and the Delta Streets kids were off the the races, leaving the rest of us looking like the bums we were. The rest of us, well, maybe I should speak for myself, I was off for a shuffle. Katy Jones, after first taking some pictures, jogged up beside me and stayed so we assumed the same pace, about 10:30. That used to be my training pace. Now that had me huffing and puffing like a bull chasing a cow. Sheepishly, self-conscious, I asked, "Can you hear me breathing?"

"I can hear you," she curtly answered.

"A lack of running has me terribly unfit."

"Old age has you," she shot back.

Ouch.
Shortly after the start


I made it 1.14 before I slowed to a walk. The laps recorded by my watch say this:

1.14 @ 10:30
.36 walk
.25 @ 11:10
.27 walk
.13 @ 11:34
.74 walk
.1 @ 11:53
total: 2.99

I know, a 5K is supposed to be 3.1 miles, but our trail is only three miles to the highway and back. Did you notice the steadily slowing pace? Yesterday I was reading some of my old posts about past school 5Ks. One said

Mile 1 - 8:07
Mile 2 - 8:06
Mile 3 - 8:05

That's pretty good pacing. Now, only two years later, I started slow and tapered off just trying to survive.

This was a bit embarrassing and encouraging all at the same time. I used to win this, then travel to the main campus and win theirs on back-to-back days. That was only a few short years ago. But the good news is, I am on the way back. I know that now because I can walk without pain this morning. I feel it, but I am moving OK. Thank you, Jesus. Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment