Thursday, October 25, 2018

Comp I, 9:25

Absenteeism was sky high today in my 9:25 Comp I class. A small amount of rain is dripping from the sky so most of the students won't leave their house or dorm room. How will they survive in the real world? They won't and it will be a president's fault.

Now, the few of us who are here are writing. Or some of us are. They want to talk. One student just asked me about electronics, how I feel about them, and how things have changed in that area during my lifetime. Just a few of the remarks I gave him were, we had no cell phones until I was an adult. Coming up, we had only three channels on the TV. And there was no internet and even when there was, I was late coming to the party. When GPS units started coming out, I had a negative view of them because I liked learning roads and needing some hard earned knowledge to do what I did, ride a bicycle for over a hundred miles in rural Mississippi. Now, anyone can get around as long as they have a modicum of cell coverage.

Another thing we didn't have but I do like is the GPS watch. I have a Garmin that I use to record my distance on a bicycle, running, and even in the swimming pool. When my Garmin goes out, I have another one ordered before the day is done.

All in all, I like the advancements that have come our way. But the world really was a different place when I was coming up. And it seems to change faster and faster. I am of the age that I don't like change. I want things to stay the same. For instance, we are always learning some new program at work. As soon as we really learn it, it is gone and another takes its place. That frustrates me because it seems to me that the new is not always better than the old. Sometimes it is obviously worse, and our school pays big bucks to downgrade and throw confusion onto their employees. They love that, throwing confusion.

Oh well, the end is in sight. I don't really want to retire. I like my job and want to work past "retirement age." But if I do go to the house when I reach that birthday, it will be primarily because I grow overly weary of unnecessary changes that make little sense. At home everyday, I will learn what I want to learn. And everything else will be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment