Thursday, October 4, 2018

HIIW

I am in my second Comp I class of the day and we are writing. In the 8:00 a.m. class, I published a post on my Twin Rivers indoor pool swim last night. Now I am searching for a suitable topic. 

We are not just writing, but we are doing HIIW: high intensity interval writing. To my knowledge, I am the only writing teacher in the nation (probably world) who applies physical training techniques to writing. It works. HIIW will get students smarter and writing better than anything else that I have ever discovered. That is why we do it.

Now I am starting my second blog post of the day. This is my zone two writing. We toggle back and forth from zone two to zone four. You really can't read my zone four writing because there are so many misspelled words. But I do it and so do my students. This one is not worth much. My last one at least made a little bit of sense. But now? I suppose I could peck about the gym, or the church.

At the gym, Trevor and I have been tearing it up. I am upping the cord work by one rep each workout. I hit 132 reps yesterday afternoon. Today I plan on 133. We not only have been lifting a lot, but yesterday we ran, if you can call it that. We shuffled for .75 of a mile. It was the first time he had worn athletic shoes and shorts and he offered to run with me. So Plate City is going well for both of us. All of this is foundation work for the next Challenge. Right now, my plans are to swim 12.5, a one way from Ditch Bayou to the State Park. 

While the running is not necessary for long swimming, it does help some, I am convinced. It gets the legs in shape, increased cardiac efficiency, and helps greatly with weight control. That helps a bit, although I did the longest swim of my life on no running whatsoever. Not only does it help in all the ways already listed, but it gives me confidence that I am in shape, that I have done everything possible to get myself ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment