Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Two Doors

Monday was the start of a new week and guess what I did? Nothing. Huh? Yeah, I had one of those days when I got home, climbed into bed and stayed there. I know, I know. I should be beaten, slapped about the head and face, pounded until repentant for my serious lapse of . . . of whatever I was lacking yesterday. 

I do that from time to time, get lazy, unproductive, like my worse self. Often I don't beat myself up too much about it because I know that I really need the rest. Not this time. I was tired, but I needed another tough day in the pool since I am racing Saturday.

Huh? A tough day the week of a race?

Yeah. With swimming, recovery is much faster than running or cycling or lifting. I can train hard the first two days of the week when I race Saturday and begin the taper on Wednesday. If I did that running, however, I would surely get beaten by the fat ladies.

But there you have it. I am a man, flawed and weak and inconsistent. We all have those tendencies. I guess what makes us successful and productive, besides the grace of God, is how often we overcome our baser natures. Today, once more, I will come face to face with two doors: the door of minimal effort, and the door of hard effort. Which one will I open? Stay tuned and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment