Monday, April 27, 2020

4/20 - 4/26

I sometimes mention a 20/20 week. That is a training cycle where I swim 20,000 meters and run 20 miles within the same seven days. Last week, I hit a 21/21 week. It's a big deal. It beats the heck out of what Randy Beets is doing. My goal for this week is a 22/22. We'll see.

Monday I ran 4.3 miles to get started right. I swam 3,793 meters and lifted a whole bunch of weights at Plate City. Tuesday I shuffled 2.85, swam 3,747, and lifted some more.

Wednesday things broke down a little. I still ran (2.9) and swam (4,181), but I had an appointment in Carroll County and could not lift. Thursday, however, found me at least doing squats in the gym and shuffling 3.15 miles on Malmaison Road and swimming 4,387 meters in the cold pool.

Saturday I purposely slowed things down to no running and only 1,462 meters of swimming. I did want to lift, but two land showings in the hills knocked that out like a Roberto Duran punch hitting a hapless jaw.

For the week, I

ran 21.21 miles,
swam 21,591 meters, and 
lifted weights four times.

That was good training. I hope to do a little more this week. With my key events out there somewhere at an unknown future date, I have begun wave training with the idea of staying fit while being able to peak within weeks of an announced date. I will build for three weeks, have a recovery week, and then rebuild. That is the best idea I could come up with under these circumstances. The recovery weeks are helpful and are normally radical for the week of the event. A taper is what I am talking about. However, I don't want to taper for nothing. A rest week, a cycle of reduced but still significant training, I hope will fit the bill.

Thank you, Jesus, for giving me hope at a time when a lot of people are at wits end. May our world return to normal but with a renewed faith in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment