Thursday, April 23, 2020

Truncated Day

After kicking butt and taking names for two days, God dealt up a truncated day for me Wednesday. I finished my school work early and I did run and swim. After that, the weather took over. First, I have been growing a little bored with running around town of late. Of course I shuffle out Wade Road a lot, but even that gets mundane at times. This is when I used to go to Hodge Ski Lodge and run there. We don't have the lodge anymore and this is where it hurts.

Then a memory hit. I used to sometimes ride out to Malmaison Road, park by that first old church on the right just off the highway, and do my thing up and down that road. It is country, it is gravel, and it is different. Why haven't I been out there in like five years? And it is only seven miles from my house. 

So I drove out. You know what? I was wrong. It is only six miles from my wive's driveway. When I got out of the truck and started my slow and short shuffle, I was amazed that, like Money Road, you could be so close to town and so far into the county, the country, the farm and hunting territory that carries with it an ambiance, an experience just by being there.

I only did 2.9 miles. I am on the "be careful" highway after the knee flareup of a few weeks ago. Running on a gravel road adds a level of protection since the surface has more give than the ubiquitous asphalt of town. The air is clean, except when a truck passes. The spaces are wide, open, and wide open. I enjoyed myself and once more marveled at how I let this one go for so long.

Penny was out for lunch so I ate early, rested, and went to the pool. It is still cold. Sigh. I can take it. Poor John. I swam

3,300 1:02:12
200 tt 2:59
650 medium paddles 11:54
brick kick
275 5:19
150 back 3:29
total: 4,575 yards = 4,181 meters

I went home, took nutrition, and lounged until Penny got in from work. When she did, she had her umbrella out. Huh? Yeah, I looked out and it was raining. Not to worry, rain stops. But it didn't. So leg day became lounge night. I took a bath, hung out with Luvie, and watched YouTube videos. I saw some strongmen lifting and I watched Brothers in Blood, the real one. There are several films that use this title to get clicks, but I found the real one. This is a documentary about the most famous lions who ever lived, the Mapogos. These six lions conquered 160,000 acres in South Africa and held it for six years. The were the most dominant most violent most aggressive lions in history. Their story is educational, inspiring, and heart breaking. If you want to view it, go the my channel, EndangeredSwimmer on YouTube. Click Playlists, and then find Liked Videos. It is at the top of the list.

Thank you, Jesus, for another good day. Thank you for Malmaison Road. Thank you for the video on the Mapogo lions. Even they illustrate Your truth, the words of Jesus: Live by the sword, die by the sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment