Saturday, May 28, 2022

Day Six: Countdown to Quadrathon

Friday was the sixth day before the long awaited quadrathon. Tyler told me the other day that he can't believe it's almost here. "We've been talking about it since January." Yeah, it happens like that. It seems so far away, but if you keep living, the time comes around.

We rode bicycles at our usual 5:45. It's amazing how light it is outside at that time now. You can read a newspaper outdoors at ten minutes until 6 a.m. We went up Money Road and back. I totaled 18.8 miles when it was all done. Then I went inside, ate breakfast, drank coffee, and hung out with CC. She is being very affectionate after giving me a long spell of the treatment.

Later in the morning, I went outside and mowed the front lawn. Then I called John to set up a time to swim. I wanted to swim in the afternoon. He wanted to swim in the morning. I did what I usually do and made a concession to swim at 11:00 a.m. My life is a series of concessions to John. I started swimming at 11:00. He is almost always late. I expected 20 minutes or more. I got out after an hour and then hurried to get dressed and leave because if he had come up, he would have wanted me to stay. Seriously. I left at 12:10 with still no sign of John. If he had driven up while I was driving off, he would  have tried to stop me.

I swam

  2,300 45:18
  4 X 25 breast
  1 X 50 breast
  1 X 50 back
  1 X 50 medium paddles
  total: 2,550 yards = 2,330 meters

Not a bad practice, but it lacked work on speed. Sigh.

Leaving the pool, I had some business to attend and after which I went home and ate lunch. I lounged a bit then went outside for some backyard mowing and a touch of work at Plate City. I counted it as a lifting session although it was mostly deltoid and rotator cuff work plus some stretching. Still, I enjoyed the gym and Pee Wee enjoyed me.

So I got three workouts done. Also, I received a donation in the mail, only the second one since I spoke at Kiwanis and Lions and the Commonwealth article was published. Used to the newspaper article alone would result in about $600 in donations. Is it because people don't read the paper anymore? Penny said it's because quadrathon sounds too tame, that the Great Geezer Run was crazy enough to catch people's attention. Maybe so. But I can do crazy so you just hang around and see what happens next year. Thank you, Jesus, for a crazy mind and a crazy training partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment