Thursday, May 26, 2022

My Message

One of our stated reasons for doing Quedarthon is to raise awareness of diabetes, especially Type 2 Diabetes. Why Type 2? Because Type 1 is something that happens to you regardless of your lifestyle. It is an auto-immune disease which means your body's own immune system attacks your pancreas leading to diabetes. Type 2, however, although it has a genetic component, also has a strong lifestyle component. They (health care officials) tell me that Type 2 Diabetes in 90% preventable. Let that sink in: 90% preventable.

Do you know what nation leads the world in Type 2 Diabetes? Correct, the good ole' USA. Do you know what region leads the USA in Type 2 Diabetes? If you guessed the South, you win a pony. Do you know what state leads the South in Type 2 Diabetes? Mississippi and Alabama and constantly fighting each other for the top spot. Do you know which area of Mississippi leads the rest of the state in the incidence of Type 2 Diabetes? That's right, the Delta. 

I am not a socket rientist, but I think that means we lead the world in the incidence of Type 2 Diabetes, a disease that is 90% preventable. That clearly means we are doing some things wrong. In my last post, I wrote about attending our grandson's eight grade graduation. There were about thirty-five kids in that class and about 70% of whom were fat. Eighth graders!! When I looked around at the adults, almost everyone there was overweight. 

Obesity is a major risk factor in developing Type 2 Diabetes. To lower our chances of becoming diabetic, we should all do three simple things: lose a little weight, exercise a little more, and eat a little better. None of that is complicated. Losing as little at 10% of our body weight can have a huge positive effect on our health. Despite the fact that we now have in the developed world a huge fat positive movement telling people that they can be healthy at any weight, it simply is not true. Wanting it to be true does not make it so.

One of the reasons I always do a physical challenge as part of my annual fundraising efforts for the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi, is I want to encourage and hopefully inspire people to be more physically active. You do not have to or need to do anything extreme like Tyler and I are doing, but you can and should do something. Walk. Walking is something almost everyone can do and it is really good exercise. Start slow and build up. It's not socket rience.

And finally, all of us can make improvements in our eating habits. I suggest first of all that you educate yourself on nutrition. I am constantly shocked at what people tell me their doctors tell them about how to eat. Fat is not our enemy. Simple carbohydrates are. I am not saying do not eat carbs. I am saying we should limit simple carbs and emphasize complex carbohydrates that raise blood sugar more slower than the simple variety. Volume is also a big factor. Most of us, myself included, eat way too much food. I know the struggle and it never goes away. But we must fight the fight and not give up. Eat better, eat less, and be more healthy.

By taking these three simple steps, each of us can improve our health and reduce our chances of developing diabetes. small steps over time lead to big results. It is not too late. Start today. Do it, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment