Saturday, March 18, 2017

Pool Foolish?

Last year I announced a new swim for 2017, Pool Fools. Also benefiting the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi and set for May 13, this is scheduled to come off at Twin Rivers Recreation Center. I drove by last week as I am wont to do this time of year to see if they had started prepping the pool to be pumped up. I get really excited when I see them out there steam cleaning the bottom of the pool and knowing soon I'll be swimming in there.  I drove up to a pool with two large machines in the bottom of it and piles of broken tile and concrete here and there. 

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I parked and went inside.

"What's going on, Stella?" I asked Ms Stella looking for some reassurance.

"They're redoing the pool."

"When is it going to be ready?"

"It has to be ready by the weekend of May 12th because we have lifeguard training scheduled for then."

"Lifeguard training? That's when I'm supposed to do my swim!" I blubbered in a near state of shock.

"You'll have to talk to Debbie," she said with a shrug.
A week after my first drive up.
Things look better, but . . . ?


Debbie walked in.

"I guess you see we're in the middle of some major work," she said as if it were no big deal.

"What is the time line on this?" I pleaded.

"We have no time line."

Just shoot me now, I thought.

"Stella said y'all have lifeguard training the day my swim is scheduled."

She just shrugged. "We'll work it out."

So I left and instead of shooting a road sign, I decided to relax and trust God. We could absorb a one week delay in Pool Fools, but two weeks is too close to Chicot and the Challenge has priority. Maybe even Ronnie would let us do it at DSU if needed. But those are bridges I can't cross until I get there. So in the meantime, I pray and train and hang out with the cats.

Praise be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment