Monday, March 25, 2019

3/18 - 3/24

This was the week. My first swim meet is three weeks out and for my other athletic adventures, this is where I always wanted the most volume as well as a lot of quality of training. I got it, at least I swam more that week than anytime since Chicot Challenge VI in 2017.

Monday I lifted weights and swam 3,473 meters. The swim included some tough sets. Tuesday I did more weightlifting and swam 4,113 meters. Again, there was a healthy dose of quality in those meters.

Wednesday I only swam but I hit the pool for 4,615 meters. For the first time in years I did the old 20 X 100 set. The interval was a little slow but I actually swam 21 X. Thursday I lifted more weights and swam another 3,650 meters.

Friday is endurance day and I swam 8,200 yards straight. From the start, I was thinking of throwing in the towel, of tapping out. But I kept going and even finished with a little juice. These swim not only produce that all-day endurance needed for the Chicot Challenge, but they produce the patience of mind needed to just keep going. 

Yesterday I posted about Saturday's big training. I did the Viking 5K, rode bicycles with my son, lifted weights, and swam. A good day it was, I awoke Monday morning weighing less than I have on a Monday morning in two full years. I am always my heaviest on Monday morning so I am looking forward to some good numbers on the scale and in the pool this week.

For the week, I

ran - 3.0 (I know a 5K is supposed to be 3.1, but ours is not),
biked - 3:00 minutes on the stationary and 9.47 miles on the road bike,
lifted weights - four times (all upper body, not lower body because of the knee),
swam - 26,184 meters = 16.27 miles.

That's real training right there. I don't care who you are. I need another big week in the water before my taper next week to be at a peak for the swim meet in Biloxi. Thank you, Jesus for good weather, good health, and good energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment