Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Big Three

Transitioning from sleep to consciousness was sweet Monday morning. Even half way between slumber and wakefulness, I was aware that I did not have to go to work. The Spring Break proper had begun. 

Once I had coffee and clarity, I began to peck on the computer, writing out my last week's record of training. That's when I noticed the rain. The sound of raindrops pecking on the awnings outside was soothing and disturbing. Soothing by sound, but I realized my hope for a three-workout day could be in jeopardy. 

I toyed with the idea of a treadmill run. However, that for me is always a last resort. Finally, about 10:00 0'clock not hearing the rain anymore, I got dressed and headed out the door only to discover water was still pelting from the sky, not hard but too hard. I would surely get soaked, and it was a bit cool for that.

So I fretted and looked for my raincoat, the one you are supposed to be able to run in. Running raincoats are sort of like wetsuits for swimming. They don't actually keep you dry, but you get wet slowly so that if it is not too cool, your body heat can warm the wet next to your skin. I couldn't find my raincoat, but looking out the door again, I saw that the rain had stopped, and I went for it.

I made to to Bankston School before it began to precipitate with a vengeance, so instead of going over the bridge, like I wanted, I turned back towards home. Thankfully the heavy rain didn't last long and some zigging and zagging got me 2.77 miles of shuffling and a little walking. 

Workout number one was complete.

Workout number two was a bench press session at Plate City. See the previous post for a short video of the latest improvements I made on the gym. On the bench, I pressed

15 X 45 
10 X 65
10 X 95
8 X 115
5 X 135
3 X 145
2 X 150
1 X 155
6 X 140
11 X 120

Workout number two: done.

After that, I took nutrition and waited for Penny to come home so I could go to the pool. At the pool, I swam

1,200 warmup
4 X 50 decline 1 - 4
  1 - :49
  2 - :46
  3 - :42
  4 - :41
600 for time in 9:23 (1:33)
1,000 easy
200 for time in 3:00 (1:30)
1,000 cool down
600 kick with fins
total swim: 4,200 yards = 3,838 meters.

Workout number three, successfully completed.

I was a little disappointed in my 600 time. I took a peak at my watch at 500 (the distance I will swim in April) and the time was 7:49. I have been under 7:30 for 500 about a month ago. Why the slowdown? Two possibilities. One is the swim lessons which have had a negative impact on my interval training. With babies in the water, I don't feel comfortable blasting it as hard as I can creating waves and splash. As a result, I am now swimming at night so I can be free to swim how I want. Another possibility is swimming after lifting. Moving my swim till the nighttime has put the lifting ahead of the swimming. Given the choice, I always liked to swim then lift rather than the reverse. I am going to the pool with muscles that have been blasted with the weights about two hours before. How much difference does that make? I really do not know.

So I don't know if I will get my time back below 7:30 or not. Time is running out. Anyway, all I can do is all I can do. While training for the swim meet, I am simultaneously training for the Chicot Challenge. These are really polar opposite events and require different training. But I like to mix things up, and they are really mixed up now. 

A few things I'm banking on to help me swim faster at the meet are: I will taper (and I haven't been fresh in awhile), I will shave down (I routinely shave my legs, but for the meet I will shave my arms and chest), and I will be competing with other swimmers. I know in running, doing an event means your times go way down below what you do in training. Cagri told me the same thing happens in the pool. So how will it go? I have never done a pool meet so I am looking forward to the opportunity to find out about these things.

Thank you Lord. I'm having fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment