Thursday, March 21, 2019

An Old Favorite Returns

Wednesday I had to go to Carroll County to change locks on the gate to the Ski Lodge. Another day of errands. I also bought gas and went to the bank. Today I play. While in Carroll County, I thought about taking a run, but my knee is still a bit gimpy so I walked .6 of a mile instead. Yeah, it's that bad and I am signed up for the Viking 5K this Saturday.

At the pool, I warmed up with a long 2,500 yards. Then I did something I haven't done in I don't know how long. I swam 100s hard on a not too long repeat. For the longest of years, 20 X 100 @ 2:00 was my favorite workout. It is a tough one, but it makes you strong. Maybe I haven't been doing it since by comeback because I tried it late last summer in the outdoor pool, and I could not make the interval. In the past, I did them @ 2:00 in both short course and long course pools. But I could not even get back to the wall in two minutes much less turn around at that time. So I sort of let my old standby slide. I have been doing some 100s, but usually six or eight, and the interval has been at 2:05. 

I screwed up my courage and knocked off 21 @ 2:05. They felt tough. They felt good. Now I am back to a workout that is guaranteed to pay dividends. I should do this at least once per week. For the Heart O' Dixie, I will swim this a lot, possibly adding more reps and lowering the interval a second at a time until I get it back to 2:00 flat or lower even.

After the tough set, I swam 250 with the finger paddles and then 150 with the small paddles. That gave me 5,050 for the day. Enough. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment