Monday, May 1, 2023

4/24 - 4/29

My slide down the mountain continues. Not in the water, but on the road (frag intended in case my students read this). This has been a tough semester for me. They should be a bit better in the future because the Enhancement of Study and Employment Readiness courses are being spit to different semesters. Also, Old Testament Survey, which I love to teach, is one that requires a lot of preperation. I will be offereing it once per year now. Teaching those three in one semester was a load. The other four courses, not so much, but those three kept me working.

That much work had a negative impact on my training. But the semester is almost over, and I am looking forward to stopping the downhill slide. Praise God. Starting today, we give final exams. I will be done before the end of the week. Three guesses what I will do. Yeah, run more, hang out with Pee Wee, and maybe even spend some time with my bride.

Monday I had a decent swim of 3,325 yards. Tuesday was only a little better with 3,350 yards in the water and 1.19 miles on the treadmill. Add to that a little lifting, and you have my day.

By Wednesday, I was thinking numbers, and I upped my game in the pool to 4,500 yards. On the treadmill, I hit 1.69 miles. In the gym, I lifted thoroughly to have one good training day.

I trained with Alaina Thursday, and we did that big 12 X 400 thing and wound up with 5,000 yards. Yeah, we're bad like that. That pracitice, however, gave me a hangover that cut Friday's swim down to 2,350 yards. I also shuffled 1.12 miles on the mill and did some light lifting.

Saturday was the big day with the boys. We lifted heavy, hard, and long. At the pool, I added another 1,500 yards to my total.

For the week, I

  ran 4.0 miles (!!!!!!),
  swam 20,025 yards or 18,302 meters,
  lifted weights four times, and
  skiergged 1:00

That makes four weeks in a row that I have hardly run. I started this year with a marathon, then did a 50K, and folllowed all that up with a half marathon. Now I would probably stuggle to finish a 10K. But life is like that, and it will come back. You can't always be in top form. In fact, it is good for the body to modulate your fitness. The body responds well to an increasing workload. Well just keep adding training and never slow down, you say. That leads to a broken and sick body. You can only do so much. You push to a peak, then back off for a while. Then re-peak. For me, life makes me back off, so I don't have to program lighter loads on the training. They happen by necessity. 

Well, that is all for today. I have to go to work, and give some exams. Move your body, train hard, think up a challenge and do it. Life is more interesting that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment