Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Swim Circuit at the City

It was a full day Tuesday. First, I stopped by the cleaners on my way to the pool. I had been needing to do that for weeks. I finally found one of those round things, you know, a roundtoit. 

At the pool, I was a little pressed because I was scheduled to take my truck to Nash's a little before noon. I swam

  1,100 21:33
  200 back
  200 small paddles
  350 for time 5:47 (1:39)
  200 small paddles
  3 X 50 @ WIFL
  200 small paddles
  4 X 25 no breath
  100 medium paddles
  total: 2,600 yards

That wasn't bad. It beat last week by 200 yards. Monday beat last week by 1,600 yards. Now if I can beat last week today, I will be on the way towards a heavy week of swim training.

Penny picked me up at Nash's. I took the truck in because sometimes the brakes squeel and it has 87,000 miles on it. That has to mean the front pads are worn out, right? Nash called right after lunch and said I have full pads all the way around. Huh? Yeah, those are honest folks down there, so if you need some mechanic work, remember them. By the way, they are the last downtown gas station in Greenwood and the last full service station I know of.

Penny was out of pocket all afternoon and since I had already planned to run and wind up there, I told them I would be in around 4:00. I shuffled 4.7 miles getting there. Two down, one to go.

At the City, I did pull while Pee Wee played with his toys and watched for squirrels. He gives them a scolding when he sees one. I did what I am calling a swim circuit. It goes like this with no rest between sets:

  lateral raise
  Swim Pull
  ski erg
  swim cords
  ball slams

I did that for two rounds. Next time it will be three. That circuit hits the swim muscles in terms of strength, endurance, and reactive time. Yeah, I'm smart like that. The lateral raise gets blood pumping through the deltoids. The Swim Pull overloads the swim muscles in an exact duplication of how they work in the water. The ski erg uses the swim muscles in an aerobic fashion. On the swim cords, I focus of speed, trying to wake up any fast twitch muscles I might have that perhaps have survived my advancing age. The ball slams also mimic the swim pull and are also fast twitch oriented. 

I will probably change it next time, adding reps of course and maybe revisiting the Swim Pull for two sets on each round. By the grace of God, when the Heart O' Dixie rolls around, I will be ready, if He allows me to stay healthy. Last year, I had some issues which compromised my training. This year has been better thus far. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow/ Praise Him all creatures here below/ Praise Him above ye heavenly host/ Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost/ Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment