Thursday, May 4, 2023

Losing Cousins and Thinking of Death

On my first day off, I tried to sleep in, but I woke up early and got up early. I really needed the sleep but couldn't pull it off. Debbie sent out a text that the little pool was back on line so that was back on my agenda for the day. Add to that shuffling and the gym, and you know how I had planned out my day.

Yes, despite not being able to sleep late, I lounged long in bed and drank much coffee. I also thought a lot. The night before, one of my cousins notified me that one of our other cousins had died. I could not have been more surprised. I didn't know he was sick. He had just come to my mind a couple of days before. I thought that we should at least get together for a meal since he lived in Grenada which is not that far from here. Then, Bam! he is gone.

I am a bit stunned that I have lost so many of my cousins. Several of them have died young. Mike was only 58, and although we were not close, I remember him fondly. From all I could tell, he was a good guy. He was my mother's sister's son. Basically I saw him once per year while I was growing up. The last time I saw him was at his mother's funeral, which I had the privilege to preach.

When I was growing up, we always went to Louisville, Mississippi on Christmas day. Mom and Dad were both from this area. Mom lived in Louisville proper. Dad grew up in nearby Estes Switch. We went first the Mamaw's house (my dad's mother) where we shot firecrackers, caused trouble, and played on the phone. One Christmas, some of the roudy cousins set a photographer's car on fire. The family photograph taken that day is great. All the kids are happy, but the adults all look like their shoes are way too tight. We opened presents and ate lunch there. That's where I got to know all the cousins on Dad's side of the family. Then we stopped by Aunt Barbara's and Aunt Libby's (my mother's sisters). Mike was Aunt Libby's boy. I never knew him to set anything on fire.

Now, all the uncles are gone. Now, all the aunts are gone except one, Aunt Mary, who lives in Noxapater. Penny and I plan to see her this Sunday. Too many of the cousins have also passed. Without straining my brain too hard, I can think of four who have died and all relatively young. Another is ill, and his prognosis is not good.

I guess that is how life is this side of glory. People die, and we are on the list. We just don't know when our name will be called. Love your loved ones. You never know when they are going to leave you or you leave them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment