Thursday, May 25, 2023

New at Plate City

Plate City took a giant step forward yesterday. Monday I had ordered a Concept 2 Bike Erg. It arrived Wednesday, I put it together, and used it. But I get ahead of myself. First, I went to the pool. There I swam

  1,300 26:09
  300 back
  6 X 25 no breath
  250 small paddles
  3 X 100 broken (I swam as 50 medium paddles/50 sprint)
  200 broken
  150 25/25 free/back
  50 large paddles
  2 X 75 medium paddles
  50 XL paddles
  200 small paddles
  total: 3,100 yards

Those broken swims were new. I had done broken swims in the past under Cagri. But these were different. I took the inspiration from weight training, a concept called contrast training, where you do an overload followed by a plyometric. The idea is that the overload (heavy weight) recruits a lot of muscle fibers and then the plyometric move uses those fibers in an athletic move thus improving performance. The paddles were the overload and the sprints were the plyo, in a sense. I liked the way it made my muscles feel, especially on the 200. On the third 50 on the 200 (another paddle), I could feel my lats and pecs in an amazing way. Now I want to go back to the pool and do a 250 broken. If you read me, you know I will work that up a little longer each time I go to the pool, thus working strength, speed, and endurance all in one set.


Back home, my Concept 2 Bike Erg was delivered by UPS. I moved the box to the back, unpacked it, and began to put it together. I did corator tuff exercises between bouts of screwing parts together. Also, I mowed the front lawn. After the mowing and with the bike erg and corator stuff complete, I began my workout proper. Since it was leg day, I settled on a circuit of squats, bike erg, and treadmill, in that order. I did a few rounds of that and finished with 1.34 miles of running, 11:45 of spinning, and three sets of squats, not in that order.

It was a solid day of training, and Plate City is better than ever. You might be wondering why not just set my road bike up on a trainer. I could, but then I would have to change shoes to do a circuit, and I like circuit training. With the bike erg, I don't have to change shoes so I can hop on, the off and onto the treamill or whatever. The possibilities are numerous. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment