Thursday, January 28, 2021

John Back

After being out for a few days, John was back Wednesday. In fact, he was in the water when I got there early. He could not take it. Patsy is home from the hospital in Jackson. Big John was happy. I swam

1,200 24:12

50 drill

2 X 50 fly/back

50 drill

200 medium paddles 3:49

2 X 50 breast/free

200 small paddles

total: 1,900 yards = 1,736 meters.

That is not much volume, but that fly stuff is tiring. The drill was something I made up myself to try to learn how to put the second kick in. I have only been doing one kick per stroke. Butterfly is supposed to have two kicks per stroke. I took a kick board, and stroked with one hand added the kicks. This helped me get the timing closer so that when I swam the butterfly, I did two kicks. It was, however, still difficult and still ugly I'm sure. It felt that way, at least. 

John had never seen any of this and he had comments. He said I was stiff and kicking only from the knees down. I already knew that. 

I did go for a small shuffle when I got home. I hit the gravel and then the trail for 2.6 miles. After that it was gym time.

When I got to Plate City, it was dark, the sky was overcast, and the temp was dropping. I loved it. I squatted

17 X 45

11 X 95

5 X 115

5 X 115

5 X 115

5 X 115

4 X 130

3 X 135

I am definitely stronger than I was the last time I maxed on the squat. Before the new Plate City got built, my PR for the squat was 120. After I made a commitment to the lift, my PR went to 135, then to 145, and now I know I can beat that. I am not sure when I will max again, but most likely it will not be too long. 

Pee Wee played the whole time I lifted and every now and then he needed a hug. I am big into hugging anyway so that is not a problem. Working out at night in the dark and in the cold is nice. I never thought I would say this, but I am not looking forward to summer. The cold is going well with my running and lifting and with Twin Rivers' indoor pool, it is not slowing down my swimming. Life is good; God is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment