Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Snow Day

The first day of classes turned out to be a virtual school day due to snow. Yeah, we actually got snow. I worked on my Canvas stuff Sunday night so I could have a little free time Monday. I started the day as I usually do when I have some leisure: coffee and cats. But the sight of the snow falling outside, lured me out of my slumber.

I don't remember how many times I have run in the snow, but I can only recall two occasions. The first year of our marriage, Penny and I only had one vehicle. She worked at Piggly Wiggly Grocery Store and drove the truck to work. Since she had to park behind the store, I would run from our residence on Strong Avenue to Piggly Wiggly, get the truck, and drive around and pick her up. 

On a March night, the 25th if my memory is right, we had a blizzard-style snow storm. Then, the hospital rehab center, the helicopter landing pad, and the parking lot on the west side of the hospital were only distant plans. All of that was a large grass field. After darkness and thirty minutes before I had to pick up Penny, the snow covered that field. I made tracks across it on my way to get my bride.

Another time was in the daylight when I was a student at DSU. Classes were called off and I took the occasion to run the the snow fall. It's magical. So it was Monday morning. The flakes hit my face and the snow crunched under my feet as I ran down the Yazoo River Trail. I loved it. Some adults were pushing a small child down the levee in a plastic clothes basket. Everywhere I went, kids of all ages were out having fun. I shuffled 4.02 miles and then went in for more coffee.

John and I had plans to meet at the pool at 2:20. He was twenty-eight minutes late. That's about right. I swam

2,000

10 X 100 @ 2:00

200 medium paddles

brick kick

200 back

total: 3,400 yards = 3,107 meters.

That is a pretty good practice right there, I don't care who you are. I then went home and lifted at the beautiful, well-equipped Plate City Gym. On the bench, I hit

15 X 100

  8 X 120

  5 X 145

  4 X 145

  4 X 145

  4 X 145

I did other stuff, of course, including the triceps machine for three sets. After all of that, it was time to go inside and watch the SEC whip up on the Big Ten champion. It was a nice game as Alabama won by 28. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment