Sunday, March 21, 2021

Big Saturday

Saturday was a big training day. First, I got up kind of early to do the Viking Half Marathon. It started at 7:00 and I walked over there. I left the house at 6:30. It was a bit warmer than I expected and I was overdressed. 

I started at a better pace than I did for the Mississippi River Half. I kept up with Katie Jones for twelve yards and maintained a sub 11:00 pace for four miles. It is amazing that that is bragworthy now, but it is. At the Mississippi River, I never got under 13:00. 

Around five miles Wilson Carroll, who was running his first half, pulled up beside me. We pretty much ran together the rest of the race. I say pretty much, because I ducked into a porta-potty then it took a full mile to catch back up with him. We slowed, of course, but our overall pace never got slower than the mid 12s. Compared to the River, that was practically speed work. 

After eating some Larry's fish, I walked home and took a nap. Then I studied for Sunday. Around mid afternoon I hit Plate City for another double workout. I hit the weights hard and mowed the back yard. 

I had not planned to do anymore, but Debbie at Twin Rivers wants me involved in measuring and marking the big pool for some flip turn signs to be painted on the bottom of the now drained 50 outdoor pool. So while I was measuring the markings at the little pool, I took the opportunity to swim just a bit. I stopped after a mere 1,100 yards, but with the weights and the 13.1 miles of running, I was all tuckered out.

Saturday was the capstone to a solid week of training. I am getting very excited about the Great Geezer Run. The DFM sent me notification of someone from Minnesota who has already donated. Also, I received a check from North Carolina that I need to put in the mail to them. In addition, the DFM has been asking a lot of questions about the run, way more than they ever have about the swim. I take from that that they plan to be involved in some way. Bethany mentioned press and refreshments. That would me absolutely awesome.

Continue to pray. I need good weather, which primarily means cool. May can be hot. The higher temps not only make running more difficult, but it makes staying hydrated more of an issue. Also, I need to get off work, that is, be excused from graduation duties. I will additionally have to get all my grades in by Wednesday night. The plan is to leave Thursday morning, May 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment