Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Dragonfly Triathlon 2022

Penny and I didn't decide until late morning to drive to Batesville Friday and spend the night. That would save a little time on raceday. We got a room at the Hampton then drove to Cypress Point at the lower lake at Sardis for packett pickup. Saturday morning was the Dragonfly Triathlon, a half-mile swim, plus an 18-mile bicycle race, plus a four-mile run half of which is on a trail. It's a nice race, one I have done in the past but missed since COVID cancelled one and I just forgot one.

Raceday morning rolled around, and I was so fat that I could barely suck and tuck my way into the trisuit. Things will change now, trust me on that. I did well in the swim, climbing out of the water in 14:41. The swim leg does not end, however, until one passes the timing matt 100 yards uphill in the deep sand. I literally passed twenty-one people on the swim and was passed by at least ten on the run to the timing matt.

After a slow transition, I began the bike race, pootling along at fourteen miles per hour. 

Sigh.

I had a slow bike ride. When I got to the run, however, I was even worse. At one point, I was averaging, shucks, I almost told you. I got passed by a sixty year old fat lady, and I didn't even fight back. I finished in 2:43:40. I don't know how that stacks up against the last time I did this race. Most likely a lot slower.

Despite my performance, I did enjoy myself. I didn't go there to race but to get in a good workout and have some fun. I did that, and then Penny and I left. We stopped in Greneda at High on the Hog BBQ. I ordered a BBQ sanwhich. Penny got a hamburger, and I couldn't take my eyes off it. That thing was magnificent, huge, juicy, and smelled just right. Now I want to go back and get me one.

So that tri capped off a good training week and reaquainted me with an old friend foe, the triathlon. It's a tough sport, one that requires special training which I am not really willing to commit to right now. I want to run. I want to swim. I want to lift weights. I don't want to ride my bicycle too much. Heck, how can I? By the time I do all that other stuff, there is little time and less energy left for anything else. The bicycle gets crowded out.

No comments:

Post a Comment