Sunday, June 11, 2023

Sad Saturday

If memory serves me correctly, I've been home three Saturdays this year. To put it another way, I have had three normal Saturdays in 2023. I want to stay home, drink coffee, pet cats, and workout when I feel like it. Yesterday was another day on the road. 

I'm not complaining, I'm explaining. Sometimes important things come up. A few weeks ago, we buried one of my cousins. Yesterday, we buried one of Penny's. We were on the road for four hours, had lunch in Winona, and arrived home about 5:30 in the afternoon.

Besides that, we have gone to swim meets, runs, visited and Aunt, taken trips out of town, and I don't remember what all. Next week is Pool Fools, so although we won't be travelling, it will not be a normal Saturday. 

I was not around Penny's cousin, Debra, much, but I liked her, and she seemed like a sweet person. Penny always spoke well of her. In fact, I never heard a single negative word about her. When Penny asked me if I wanted to go to the funeral, I answered that we needed to go. I'm glad we did. The service was sweet, and we had some nice time with her dad, Ellis, who rode with us. And we stopped for a burger at Bridges in Winona. Not day is a bad. No day is a bad day that has a Bridges burger in it.

Despite all of that and being very tired when we got home, I went to Plate City Gym for leg day number two of the week. I did the hip abdcutor/adductor machine for four sets, squats for fours sets, and many low rep sets on the trap bar deadlift. Wednesday I maxed on the deadlift at 305. It was heavy, moved slowly, and me legs shook as I finished the lift. Saturday evening, I decided to do it again.

It's not good training protocol to max twice in one week. It's not even good programing to max twice in one month. But I had a feeling and decided to follow the feeling. Using my PR makers, I hit 307 and knew I had more. I loaded 310 and hit it hard but solid. That makes three Association of Sports Strongmen world records in one week. I was estatic. The president of Big ASS Endurance himself, Dr. Timothy Noman, called me last night to congratulate me. What an honor. 

What's next? I plan to train hard Monday and then begin to taper for Pool Fools Saturday. If anyone reading this wants to come swim, you are welcome. Pool Fools is this year's annual fundraiser for the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi. Set your own goals, swim as far or short, as fast or slow as you want. Just raise some funds. Bring a check or two or three made payable to: Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi. Representatives of the DFM will be poolside at Twin Rivers Recreation Center located at 503 West Barton Ave, Greenwood, Mississippi 38930. We will be there from 8:30 until 1:00 or so.

Who is the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi? Look them up at msdiabetes.org and read about Pool Fools there.

Besides being a fundraiser, this will also be an Association of Sports Swimmers event, and I hope to perform well enough to get another phone call. Let it be, Lord, let it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment