Saturday, June 24, 2023

The Kind that Makes my Wife Happy

Penny and I had plans for Friday. Some more funds had come in for Pool Fools, and for my bithday our church had given me a gift certificate to Red Lobster. Can you spell TRIP TO JACNSON? Penny could, did, and she didn't even need to twist my arm.

First, I went to the pool while Penny was still sleeping. I swam

  2 X 50
  1 X 100
  2 X 150
  200
  2 X 100
  2 X 50
  total: 1,000 long course meters

Believe it or not, that was my longest swim of the week. My JSS is about 90% better. My hope is next week I can resume training. The Heart O' Dixie Triathlon is coming up. My cousin, Shay, has me under contract to swim the third time for the Mississippi State Champion triathlon team. And that one is not age-group related. I'm afraid that if I don't swim well, he might put out a mafia contract on me.

About going to Jackson, I know what you are thinking, Lynn. Why didn't I holler at you and CT. Hey, I am off work now for a little while. I want to come down one day, alone, and we can do lunch again, the terrible trio.

Penny and I took the scenic route. We drove out Humphrey Highway and stopped at Acy's for buscuits. It's better to go for the full breakfast at Acy's, but we left home too late for that. Then we drove 430 to Vaiden where we got on Highway 51 and motored south. This was the route of the Great Geezer Run, and I remember every spot where I took a pee. I remember what I felt like at certain points, what I was thinking, how I was praying. Driving this route always brings it all back. And yes, part of me is itching for a rematch with the Great Geezer Run.

We drove the route all the way to the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi's office in Ridgeland where we went in, passed off the new funds, picked up our money bag that we gave them at Pool Fools, and chatted a bit. That is alway nice. I am thankful for them not just for the work that they do, but they allow my crazy dreams and schemes to have a purpose.

After we left the DFM office, we drove to Penny's stores. I dropped her off and drove to Dick's Sporting Goods in Madison. I like Dick's and Academy Sports, but it only take me a few minutes to shop. I bought three 2.5 pound plates at Dick's, not because I need them, but because I have a spot on the new wall at Plate City that is screaming for a big lag screw and a few small plates to make it look just right.

I picked Penny up after two hours, and we drove to her other stores, two of them. They were closed, not just closed, but cleaned out, moved out, out of business. This saddened my wife severely. But ain't that life? Things change, and we can't do a dang thing about it.

So we decided to scoot on over to Red Lobster and eat lunch at 2:30. We were suspicious when we drove up because there were parking spaces. When we got inside, we found out why. Right now, they are only open for take out. 

WHAT!?!?!

We went back to Madison and ate at Longhorn. Not a bad second choice. After that, Penny had to hit two more stores then it was back to the interstate and home.

It was a nice day, the kind that makes my wife happy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment