Thursday, June 22, 2023

Show Me the Love

I have been a bit dismayed by some of the reactions I have encountered about the missing submarine. Many people have been shockingly callous to their plight based on three criteria that I find troubling. The three criteria are: they are rich, they are white, and they knew the risks. All of those apparently are true, but my question is why should any of them make an ounce of difference?

First, why are these people's lives not as valuable because they are rich? There seems to be some resentment towards rich people in that sentiment. Maybe jealousy is involved. Certain forms of government that have brought death, poverty, and violence to people over the world, are based on class conflict, on jealousy and on the idea that people who are doing better financially are doing so because somehow they are exploiting the people who are not. One comment I read on Facebook said, "Why should I feel sorry for people who got rich on the backs of others?" Oh, is that how they did it? I have encountered that sentiment before, the idea that people who have took it from people who have not. I don't know how these people made their money, and I will not spend two seconds investigating or thinking about that.

I once bought a pickup truck for $200 and drove that truck for thirteen years. Why would I do such a thing? First, I was truly poor. Second, the truck was a company vehicle that I drove, and I knew it would crank and go somewhere. It looked like deep fried dog doo doo and had all sorts of problems, but I needed a ride and I could afford that one. When my son was ten-years old, I cleaned out the storage room of all the old house paint, gave my boy a paint brush, and let him paint it. That made it look much better. I drove that truck from Greenwood the Jackson every week for years. I never once resented anyone who passed me in a better automobile. I never once blamed anyone else for my poor ride. In fact, I looked at that truck as a gift from God, and it got me where I needed to go for many years. 

Concerning their being white, again, why is that a factor? Actually, that is a rhetorical question because I already know the answer. I read several comments that went like this: "I ain't about to pray for no rich white men." Racist much? Some people can't help themselves, and I know some of their best friends are white. By the way, when I was driving that 1971 GMC pickup to Jackson every week, I passed a lot of wrecks on the interstate over the years. I never once resented one of those better vehicles or considered the race of the person driving. Instead, I prayed for everyone. Who wouldn't?

Finally, the third thing I have noticed over and over is people saying that the people in the submarine "knew the risks." I'm sure they did. But that matters? When you get into your car and drive down the interstate, you know you are taking risks. If you don't, you are too stupid to be driving. If you crash and are placed into intensive care, should your bank account, the color of your skin, or the fact that you were doing something dangerous matter? Are you not worthy of compassion, prayer, or aid from others?

I am not defending their choice, these rich white men, or their use of money. I am defending compassion and common decency. That has been lacking in America for a long time now. I know, it's my fault, people like me who believe in God, love our country, and are mean and hatefull to everyone else. If you think I am hatefull because I don't agree with you on something, show me the love. Don't tell me, just show me.

No comments:

Post a Comment