Friday, June 30, 2023

Unless You Do Heat Really Well

Thank God for our son Forrest who has been making me get on my bicycle. Last year it was Tyler whom the Lord providentially used to get me ready for Bike, Blues[,] & Bayous. This year, Forrest has been dragging me out and whipping me on the bicyle like I'm a red-headed step child. Thursday he was off work. We were in downtown Money and riding by 8:03 a.m. We did Coleman Road, Whaley Road, and McIntyre Road. I finished with 28.8 miles, a sore butt, and a bruised ego.

After that, you better believe I went home and lounged. Even at that early hour, it was hot. I stayed inside until about 2:00 p.m. when I went to the City. It was back around to push day again, and I set up the big fan inches from the bench. That helped tremendously. Since I had ridden already, I left the treadmill and the bike erg alone. When I got around to the fly machine, however, since that one is at Plate City Extended, I had to walk twelve feet out there in the sun, do my set, and walk back. That, my friend, was not easy nor was it safe. The heat index was 115. You feel that kind of heat, and it feels menacing, threatening, assaulting.

After a shower and some of the Paul Finebaum Show, Penny and I headed to North Carrollton Baptist where we had a pastors' and wives' banquet at 6:30. We were served some really good hamgurgers and hot dogs, some great unsweatened tea, and we played Picto something, where you are given a card with a word on it and you draw it on a white board while the others try to guess what the word is. That was really fun. My card had David and Goliath on it. I artistically drew a little bitty stick man, and I wasn't even through with the big one when someone guessed it. I learned that I am not the worst drawer in the world. Everyone there was equally as bad as I am. In fact, the worse the drawer, the more fun the game.

So it was a good day. I rode my longest cycle of the year, and lifted thoroughly despite some crazy heat. I even enjoyed, a little, trying to negotiate the heat. Say safe friend. Don't even get out in this heat wave unless you do high temperatures really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment