Thursday, June 29, 2023

The Good Ole Days. NOT

I think I started training Wednesday morning. I think. At the pool, I swam

  1,000 25:46
  4 X 50 build @ WIFL
  7 X100 with floating 25 1st four, 1st and 3rd, 2nd and 4th, 1st 50
  300 cool down
  total: 2,300 long course

Yeah, that was training. I felt my swimming muscles contracting on the 50s. I felt some heart-rate action on the 100s. That multi-paced swimming is incredibly difficult. At least it is for me. Sometimes I think it would be easier just to do the whole thing fast. The volume was the highest it has been since the Fools. 

Mid-afternoon, I mowed the front lawn, at 3:00. Was it hot? Heck yeah, but I'm bad like that. I didn't want to wait until later because mowing and lifting back-to-back would be too much in that heat. So I mowed, cooled down, then hit the gym.

I went to the City about 5:30. It was leg day, and I hit them pretty hard. I did sets of the hip ab/ad, sets of squats, and treamill running. I totalled 1.43 on the treadmill. The heat index was 111 degrees. The big fan is a lifesaver on a day like that. Literally. But at least I can do it. 

I really don't mind workingout in the heat. But at 111, it is dangerous. I was born into heat. When my mom gave birth to me, she and dad lived in an un-air conditioned upstairs apartment on Leflore Avenue. Dad literally carried me in his arms from the hospital home. I was born on June 2, so I imagine it was pretty warm up there. We moved from there to 10th Street. I have memories from 10th Street. We moved into 422 West Harding when I was a week short of my third birthday. I remember the day, and I remember us not having air conditioning. In fact, when I left home to marry my bride, we only had window units at 422. When Penny and I bought our first house, we didn't have air for about a year. When we did get it, we only had one window unit in one room, the living room. The bedroom was hot. When we got central air about fifteen years into our marriage, we thought we had died and gone to heaven.

Times have changed a little. I don't yearn for the good ole days. Not that part of them anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment