Sunday, January 16, 2022

Big Food only After

Tyler and I finally got to workout on a Saturday. He has been out of pocked or I have for weeks now. Penny, Andrea, Caitlin, and I had a day trip planned so originally I had cancelled our Saturday gym time. After some reflection, however, I realized that we still had time to "get 'er done" if we got up like we usually do. We did push the time back a bit, to 6:30. I was surprised that it was still dark when we started to move some weight.

We did light legs, deadlifts, shrugs, and the Ski Erg. While we lifted, it did become daylight. Then I had to call an end to our assault on the weights because Andrea texted that they had left the house thirty-minutes ago. I can't keep my girls waiting.

So Andrea and Caitlin arrived. We loaded up and left, headed first to the donut shop. I had suggested that we go to Acy's for breakfast, but Caitlin said that she could not eat a heavy breakfast before shopping. With my girls, shopping is a lot like Tyler and me in the gym: serious business that takes focus, energy, and effort. You can't eat big before that, only after.

We ate donuts as we drove south to the big city of Jackson, Mississippi. When we made it to the first store, I dropped the ladies at (I forget the name), and headed to Dick's in Madison. There I purchased a pair of swim goggles and four 2.5 pound plates, two for my grandson, Zane, and two for Plate City. Then I went to Academy Sports where I walked around and looked. It takes me about ten minutes to do that and then I am done for the day. I drove back to the parking lot where I dropped the girls, parked, and then took a 1.51 mile shuffle in the rain, in the parking lot. 

Then I began to take naps, listen to the radio, and wait. Finally, after several more stores and after filling the back area of Andrea's SUV almost to the ceiling, we topped that off by putting in a rug that we had to struggle to make room for. First, we dropped one back seat. Not enough room. Then Andrea scooted the passenger seat in the front all the way forward. Still the rear hatch would not close. The frightened look on our daughter's face was pitiful indeed. When I suggested dropping the center back seat and running the rug over the console in the front, Caitlin said that the center back and left back seats came down together. If we dropped that, there would not be enough seating room for everyone. I suggested that we try and see if the center back seat would come down alone. When it did, we then had to move loads and loads of stuff as we scooted the rug over an inch at a time. Finally we had the thing inside the truck with the back hatch closed.

After that, we headed to a restaurant for some real food. Usually, we go to Berry's in Florence. Today we had chosen Longhorn's in Madison. We went in the check on the wait time. The last time we tried to dine there, we opted out of an estimated two hour wait time. No, reservations are not allowed. When we were told twenty-five minutes, we knew a good steak was to be had.

I got the 22-ouncer because they don't have a bigger one. We all had as much or more than we could eat. It made me happy to see my daughter struggle to get the last few bites down, and Caitlin had to have a take out for about half of her food. When I said that I wanted to pick up one of the steak bones and gnaw on it, Penny said, "Well, there are not many people around. Go ahead." Huh!?!?! So I did. It was good, yeah.

After the steak, we headed to Barnes and Noble bookstore where we browsed, lusted for books, and bought a few. I went to the sports section because that is pretty much all I want to read right now. Once there, I saw a Ricky Bragg book in the adjoining Pet section. Titled The Speckled Beauty, and about a dog, I knew I had to have it. Bragg is my favorite living author, and the combination of Bragg and dogs was more than I could ever say no to. So I made the purchase, and as I type this that book is on the bed beside me. Very soon, within minutes, I will begin reading. 

Thank you God, for a good day with family. Thank you for keeping us safe, for helping us to enjoy one another, and thank you for that wonderful meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment