Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Testing Tyler in the Pool

Plate City was really cold Tuesday morning. Although it was only three degrees colder than Monday, I felt all three of them. So did Tyler. Even Pee Wee seemed chilly. We did the pull workout, hitting the chest-supported row machine for six sets, the lat pull down for three sets, and the Swim Pull for two sets. Of course, we topped the session off with the Ski Erg, 2:45. 

After putting in another long day at work, I shuffled out Hades Road for just over three miles. For the first time in months, there was no appreciable smoke out there. I liked that. A. Lot. I even got off on the turnrows. That is always nice.

Then it was on to the pool. We opened up with 1,300 yards. Then we did 3 X 50 decline. After that, it was testing time. We swam a 50 for time. Tyler beat me by at least two seconds. Some other swimmers showed up, so I stopped and coached Tyler through a 200 for time and a 200 cool down. 

I told him, "If you ain't hurting, you ain't swimming it right." He listened and went out hard. I timed his splits. He did the first 50 in :38. He went through 100 in 1:28. Notice the slowdown, but also note that when I swim a 200 for time, I am doing well if I hit 100 in 1:32. Off the top of my head, I can't remember what his third 50 split was, but he finished in 3:17. I found that to be a pretty good time. If I had been swimming with him, I would have been behind at 100 and only caught up somewhere during the third 50. In short, I think now know that he is a sprinter with some potential up to 200. Later, I will test him at 500, but I already think I know how that will go.

Another good day in the bank. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment