Tuesday, January 18, 2022

MLK Day

The week started cold and dark, as usual, with me thinking I did not like this Tyler guy. I always feel that way when the alarm goes off at 5:00 a.m. Being a sleepy head is not something I will ever get over. At 65 years of age, I have stopped fighting nature. I won't change, but I can deal with it, cope with it. But don't ask me to be chipper and happy early in the morning. I can get up, but not with a smile. The truth is I do like Tyler, a lot, and I knew, I know that after the morning workout, or maybe halfway through it, I would know that, feel that again. It's just me and the weaker part of my nature, my personality, the genes my parents passed on to me. It must come from my mother because Dad was always an early riser, up and 4:30 everyday of his life that I know of, even the day he died.

Pee Wee always hears Tyler before I do whether he is running or riding. If he drives over, Pee Wee's head shoots toward the fence and his ears perk up. Then two seconds later, I hear his Bronco pull into the drive. How does he know? I am sure he can hear the Bronco coming, but how does he know whose Bronco? Maybe he has figured out that there is no one else with the lack of sense or the possession of dedication to be up at that time of night, morning. Racoons, possums, and other dogs, yes, but people, no. 

He is always happy to see him, Pee Wee is of Tyler, the way dogs are, the way they always greet us. That is one of the things that makes them so special. I am happy too, in a subdued way, for I know that without him, Tyler, this early morning workout would never take place. We push weights. Pee Wee plays with his toys. We bench press, log press, and do seated dipping. Pee Wee chews toys, tears the stuffing out of toys, and makes a mess of the gym floor. Then we finish off, as we always do, with the Ski Erg, this time three minutes and fifty seconds worth. That's a lot of Ski Ergging for an old man and it hurts, but I know it is valuable, it is what sets us apart from everyone else we see at the pool, at the lake during a triathlon, at the dinner table with whomever.

Tyler leaves to go to work. I go inside to seek a nap. It is MLK Day, and I am off work. I find a short rest before Penny gets up. Then the morning is filled with coffee and cats, and reading that Rick Bragg book I told you I bought Saturday. Rick Bragg is good for the soul like cats are, his words soothing, smiling, entertaining, enlightening. He can tell a story, make the most mundane part of anyone's day seem like an adventure. Wordsmith comes to mind. I can find no one to compare him to. He simply writes the best prose I ever read. 

Later in the morning, or more accurately, early in the afternoon, I take a shuffle, a short, slow one. It keeps me from getting too lazy. Then I had an appointment with the tooth dentist. Since I had that clogging up the afternoon, I agree to meet Tyler at the pool at 6:00 p.m. We swim

1,500
10 X 100 @ 2:19 (1:36 - 1:39)
200 easy 
4 X 25 back
total: 2,800 yards

That is a pretty full day off. It is nice to have a break, but it is the last one we will get until March. Sigh. Thank the Lord for it and thank the Lord anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment