Monday, January 16, 2023

Another Geezer Menu Story

Once a year, my wife and I along with our daughter, granddaughter, and grandson make a shopping trip to Jackson. We do this the Friday after Thanksgiving, and it is one of the highlights of our year. I get to be with my family all day and then we go to Berry's for dinner. After that, we stop by Barnes & Nobile on our way out. Caitlyn, our granddaughter, is an avid reader. So we browse books, buy a few, and my daughter always buys me one of those coffee-like things. You probably know where this is going already. I don't know what it is she gets me, but I enjoy it very much. 

Awhile back, Penny and I were in Jackson, and we stopped at Barnes & Noble on our way north. It was late, I was sleepy, and I needed some caffeine to make the trip home without falling asleep and crashing. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of what my daughter gets me, so ordering that was out. As I approached the coffee shop (or whatever they call it), I did so with loads of trepidation. I decided to go to the magazine rack, which is nearby, and obliquely surveil the coffee shop from afar. I did that and saw a couple ordering for about eight minutes. I'm in trouble, I thought. I knew.

Finally, I got the nerve to make my way to the counter when the couple finally cleared out. "Can I help you?" the elderly lady asked. She's as old as I am, I thought, so she should understand my discomfort. Maybe she will be nice to me.

I looked at the menu. There were dozens of choices and words such at "mocha" and "lattee" and others that I didn't understand.

"Coffee," I answered. "Just coffee." I mean, I couldn't very well ask for "What my daughter buys me." Come to think of it, I would have been very happy had she given me a dart and let the cast that at the menu and whatever I hit, fix me that.

She just looked at me. I had seen this movie before. Remember French Camp?

"Can I just get coffee?"

After a few uneasy seconds she answered, "Well, not here. Over there," she pointed to some machines outside the counter. "You pay here, but fix it yourself over there."

Oh, I see. Being uncomfortable is not enough. You have to humiliate me and treat me like plebian for daring to ask for simple coffee. But I complied. I paid, then fixed my own coffee all by myself like a good boy. 

Then superman left the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment